Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to getting a streak-free windshield? I am a good window cleaner...my wife must think so too because she always asks me to wash the windows! :rolleyes: Anyway...I keep getting a streaky/hazy windshield (inside and out) whenever I try to clean it. I've used a couple different window cleaners, Windex, etc. and I keep getting streaks/haze. Am I missing something? Is there something different about Italian glass I should know about?

Does anyone have suggestions? Is there a better windshield cleaner out there? I really notice it in the morning since the it is staying darker longer.

Anyone?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Windex is not a good auto glass cleaner, and it does leave streaks... I always use something that is specifically made for car glass. One inexpensive product that works very well is the one made by Eagle One.

Best regards,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try a product called Invisible Glass, available in most big box stores, and be sure to use microfiber towels. It is cheap and it works for me, though I realize this is a subject with no shortage of opinions !!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Invisable Glass for me:). I spray it on a paper towel (away from the car) and not directly on the windshield cause I don't want any of it to get on the paint:eek:. Oh, and don't do it on a hot window or in the sun cause you'll never get it streak free.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
An old detailing trick:

After cleaning the glass, "polish" with crumpled up newspaper.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
An old detailing trick:

After cleaning the glass, "polish" with crumpled up newspaper.
Good idea - I'm just now having these dropped off at your house.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fix your streaky windshield

I see you have had lots of answers but if none of them worked to your satisfaction, my Alfa mechanic (and hes Italian) told me this one. Use Mr Sheen it really works! Now... Im in Sydney Australia and I AM a girl :))) ... this is a household cleaning product by Reckitt Benckiser and it may only be available here. There isn't an ingredients guide on the spray can so I don't know whats in it but it says its to 'Clean and Shine'. It seems to seal off the glass and smooth over all the tiny imperfections in the glass. The windscreen wipers glide far more effortlessly (and less noisily) after using, and they also wipe more cleanly removing all the water. I use it inside and out every time I wash the car or after heavy rain. If you don't have it over there then perhaps Google it to find out whats in it so you can match it with a US product.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Tom,
Let me make your life easy, for years i used the the news paper and windex method, the problem with that, if you over use the news paper then you will create paper dust and thats more stuff you have to clean.

I use Enjo cloths, takes no effort at all. They are actually my wifes cloths, the ones i use are the Bathroom/Sanitar Cloth with water and then Plus Line cloth to remove the water from the glass streak free, this cloth is so soft I use it on my LCD screen. Our house is chemical free except the bathroom.
And always wash your car in the shade, and when the car is cool, don't just take it out of the sun and into the shade, it won't work, the car has to be cool.

ENJO - CLEAN THE WORLD

Spygirl9899
Mr. Sheen is way to much effort. The chemical in Mr. Sheen that gives you that glide feeling is Silicone.

Try Enjo cloths you will thank me.

Rich

P.S I don't work for Enjo or have an shares in the company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Rich... thanks for your tip of Enjo cloths. Which one in particular do you suggest? I have in fact used a microfibre cloth but it wasn't that successful. I live near the beach in Sydney so whether its the added factor of salt in the air or what, but using Mr Sheen is no effort and it stops the wipers squeaking in rainy weather (no, the blades are not old). I think the heat/salt combination is a factor. Will wait for your reply b4 buying the Enjo. Cheers

·
Registered
863 Posts
Spygirl,

I mostly use Indoor Miracle, use a wet chamois first then wipe with Indoor Miracle.
If you smoke or don't wash the car for a while use the wet Bathroom Mini first instead of the chamois and then polish with Indoor Miracle.

Enjo also have product especially for the car, if you like, maybe one day i will buy some, but the top two products i mentioned work very well.

You can only buy Enjo direct from the company.

Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey there Rich! Thanks ... so Indoor Miracle it is! - I will get onto their webpage. Will let you know how it goes.

What do YOU use for the plastic back window? I just use a damp chamois. Vision is not wonderful so I rely on my side mirrors. Any tips?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm still looking forward to the day that the only thing i have to do to my Alfa is clean it! I'm hoping to finish the car by May this year.

I would use Armor All, spray on the cloth and wipe the plastic window on both sides, leave it on for about five minutes and then with a clean dry cloth wipe it all off. This will keep the window soft and clean.
Armor All also stops the plastic from going yellow.
Armor All

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Have to agree on the Invisable Glass by Stoner. Have also noticed that newspaper works a hell of a lot better than paper towel. Something about the ink on the newspaper polishing the glass. Cheaper than paper towels too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Newspaper is fine but ...

Hey there! Yeah tried newspaper but its very messy ... prefer using Mr Sheen, it does a beaut job.

I just noticed that you have listed that your Dad owned a 65 2600 Sprint! So did my Dad!! Well not positive about the 65 model may have been a year later (will have to check with my bruth) but I do know that there were only a few in Australia when he bought it from Alec Mildren at Pymble. What colour was your Dad's? Ours was a wine/purple colour. Did your Dad buy it new or as a second hand car? Very interesting as not many people had them from new.

Spygirl9899

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bought brand new in 65. I believe it was $6k usd. Great ride home from the dealer! I was 9 at the time, it seemed like we were at the dealer for at least 2-3 hrs having the car preped and radio installed. I also remember there being 4-5 GTV's there as well (all brand new). I was actually trying to talk my dad into doing the GTV instead, just though they looked cooler. Hey, I was 9 what the hell did I know.

Anyway the color we had is exactly as you say Wine/Purple with tan leather interior. Great combo. The quality of those Alfa's imo was much better than what we got to know in the 80's and 90's. Just a much more substantial car back in the day...although they started to rust the day you took them home.

Maybe my mind is playing with me but they just seemed to be better damped as far as suspension etc. Hey, and I owned a 164 from brand new so I think I can make that comparison.

Cheers!:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts