Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello folks,
I've been learning much from this site. thanks to all. Here is my first posting.
I have a sweet '74 spider. 66k original miles. very original, had it for ten years and only put about 6k miles on it. everything is in pretty good shape, it drives very well and has been a real joy. in homer's famous stories of the ancient mediteranians, there was a seafaring people who were so talented at ship building and sailing that they only had to think and their boats would respond. this is how i explain the experience of driving my alfa to my friends.
anyway.. here is my question.
i have been noticing that my speed to rpm ratio seems to be much less than i think it was. 5th gear at 4800rpm and i'm only doing around 75mph. i think the speedo is reading right judging from speed of nearby cars. also the sound of the engine when tach shows 5000rpm seems to suggest that tach is also pretty close to accurate. First gear seems to rev through to red line just too quickly, as do other gears. clutch doesn't seem to slip though. would a worn clutch cause these symptoms? how about a problem with the clutch hydralic system? lastly, if i end up replacing the clutch, what else should i do while i,m in there? much thanks for any help

1974 alfa spider silver\black
1979 bmw 635 euro silver\black

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Either our clutch is slipping or your rev counter is very optimistic. Depending on the diff gearing your speed at 4800 rpm is 100 or 105 mhp.
My '70 Spiders rev counter is about 20% optimistic.
Erik

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi antiacus,
these are recent symptoms, they seem to have appeared sort of gradually.
thanks
graham

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you have cable driven tach and speedo, like my 1968 then they can be a right pain. Sometimes a tap on the face is needed to get the needle to register correctly.

Have you checked your speedo by using some measured mile posts or similar? For the tachometer, if the interior is gummed up there is a procedure on the BB somewhere to lubricate it by suspending it over a mixture of paraffin and light oil (I think).

When I need an accurate check on the revs I either use a multimeter with a frequency reading or, for setting the carbs say, I have an electric tach that I can plugin and monitor form the engine bay.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A worn clutch is readily noticeable when you try to pass someone in 4th gear., as you head into the passing lane and begin a hard acceleration, you will hear the engine begin to rev but you will not feel any acceleration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts