Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - my '72 Berlina did an odd thing today. It has been starting fine except for today when I did a 15 minute drive over to pick up my, um, TR6. I turned her off, started and drove the TR6 for about 30 minutes, and then when to jump in the Alfa to bring her home. Turned the key and click. Acted just like the battery was dead. Fuel pump and everything was busy working, turned the key again and she halfheartedly turned over. Ended up jumping her with the, um, TR6 and she started and ran fine on the way home.

Let her sit for a couple hours and she started right up.

I just checked her battery and engine off I'm getting 12.8 +/- volts, with the engine running at 1500 RPM I'm getting 13.85 +/-.

I'm starting to think starter solenoid, but that is my British car experience talking and may not be correct on an Alfa with these symptoms.

Any ideas or coaching for me?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,613 Posts
I would start by removing, cleaning & re-securing all electrical connections between the battery & the starter (including/especially grounds). I like add a smear of di-electric grease (aka tune-up grease) to the cleaned connections. It helps prevent corrosion.

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
Could be the starter solenoid. But, it could also be the starter brushes. They eventually wear down to little nubs that barely contact the armature. Symptom is intermittant operation.

But, the fact that a jump made a difference does point to the battery or wiring. It's good that the battery is putting out 12+ volts, but the real question is how much current it is delivering to the starter. What does the voltage measure while you are cranking with the coil wire disconnected?

The question is: Will it make it to Cars & Coffee tomorrow?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The question is: Will it make it to Cars & Coffee tomorrow?
**** straight Jay!

I'll have to check the voltage once we run the fight of the kids and dog, in kind of that order.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys usually recommend rebuild, replace, or upgrade?

Thanks!

(Jay - took a family walk/breakfast today, will catch you at another C-N-C)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts