Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I’m a bit worried about my 33 Imola as this morning it behaved in a very strange mod on the first start up.

Got out this morning, put my daughter in to the car and did the routine control of every morning (oil level, coolant level, brake fluid level). Everything fine and no leaks until I turned on the key and wanted to start the engine.
It didn’t start the first time, tried again after few seconds and it started with difficulty and not firing in all 4 cylinders, after the start up I noticed some sort of smoke coming out the tail pipe, then I reved the engine ones and it sounded stable, but there was still some continuous smoke (just a little & not like the first seconds) from the tail pipe. After it passed the 40*C the smoke was gone. Never did it again after…

I’m a bit worried about this as it doesn’t sound normal, something might be wrong or it could be also poor quality petrol (here the petrol is crap). Could also this be caused from a bad lambda sensor as I have noticed this days my lambda sensor is behaving strange also and maybe is at the end of it’s life (yes, I do have an Air/Fuel gauge). Also yesterday during the day I turned on the engine after some hours and it turned off itself (happened just ones) but this could be also a coincidence .

Need your opinions and advices,
Thanks,
Elvis

·
Registered
755 Posts
This is normal boxer behaviour, occasionally oil leaks past the valve guide oil seals or rings (who knows really) and it smokes a bit, nothing to worry about. Think of it oiling the bores more generously on a cold start up - it cant hurt. One of the quirks of the Boxers. Enjoy the way they sometimes take a bit to fire on all cylinders, adds character.

Stop worrying, start enjoying!:eek:

Cheers,

Josh

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good to hear that, 77SudTi:D

You're right, this cars do have character, of course when you drive them you feel them kind of alive, but doesn't finish there. Every morning is a different way to start, one day starts in a second, than the next day a bit smoky and the next day doesn't want to start:rolleyes::p, everything depends on the her mod... :D

cheers,
Elvis

·
Registered
573 Posts
Talk about being temperamental. A few days ago, on a mountain road, I used the horn to warn another driver he was coming too fast to a corner. Seems like he didn't listen so I told my passenger "seems like I've got to put bigger horns". On the next corner, the horn didn't made a sound. Tried it all the way home, nothing. The ragazza was offended. :rolleyes:

Once in a while my 164 does idle poorly, etc. A little Italian tune-up does the trick. :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Reminds me of the time I was driving along in the city and thought to myself, "huh, isnt it great my speedo works so well and it hasnt caused me any troubles" literally that second the needle dropped to zero:eek:...a slight tap and it came back to life...never had a problem since...weirdest thing ever!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I actually had the trouble of taking the horn relay out, looking for fuses, trying a spare and finally going under the car to find the horn terminal was dirty. Never failed since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts