Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is 74 spider. I have had this strange sound for some time. It's a jingling of keys sound when turning off the car with clutch engaged. If turning off the car with no clutch sound doesn't happen.

Clutch, flywheel and throw out bearing are good.

Has anyone experienced this before?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Could you get us a video with the sound?
Can you hear any sort of noise when the car is running, clutch in vs. clutch out? If you cannot hear it from the drivers seat with the car running, listen from the engine bay or by the front tires outside of the car.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a short video clip. I hope you can hear the sound towards end.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First clip was to large to upload. Will try a smaller one.

Sound is around 5 to 6 second segment.

·
Administrator
12,928 Posts
You have to upload a video somewhere else, like YouTube and link to it from this site. Cannot be uploaded here sorry.

Pete

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
That really does sound exactly like the ignition keys jingling!

Is it the gear stick perhaps....?
or some aftermarket gear knobs, like Nardi which uses 3 small imbus screws to attach it, sometimes come loose and vibrate and rattle.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Have you looked around inside the engine bay and under the car with a flashlight ? That sounds external to the engine, you may very well find it just by looking.
It reminds me of the sound the carb support rod makes when it’s not attached to the air box, but your hear that when the car is running.
Nonetheless, jingling metal. Check around the clutch slave cylinder on the trans

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only have sound when clutch in engaged. You can sometimes hear it if you feather the accelerator at very low rpm with clutch in. Very noticable when turning off car.

I had this sound before carb conversion and engine rebuild.

Clutch salve and master are both new. Replaced last year.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Have you checked the flywheel inspection cover to see if it’s loose or anything in that area ?

·
Richard Jemison
7,604 Posts
Old clutch assemblies have weakened "torque" springs in the clutch disd. They will commonly rattle, as will the disk`s splines where either they or the input splines are worn.

But first check the covers on the shifter mechanism, The curved plates). They should hace a cupped rubber seal keeping pressure on them, or they will rattle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts