Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I accelerate from a stop I can hear what sounds like a tire tread rubbing against the wheel well. I thought it was worn springs and had them replaced with a new set of 18.7" Quad springs this Spring.

The rubbing noise is still there and it definatelly sounds like rubber. It might be the rubber doughnut on the drive shaft hitting the floor but I'm not sure. That's the only other moving rubber part I can think of.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what might be causing this rubbing and how I can fix it?

A second problem I can use help with is:

I want to replace the torn boot on my "88 Quad's gear shift. Can anyone tell me how to remove the panel so I can install the new boot? I'm afraid that if I guess at how the panel come off I might end up breaking it.

Many thanks for any help.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Have you checked the exhaust for spots where it may be coming in contact with the underside? (could be hangers and/or the engine mounts letting things rub, and with the undercoating, can sure sound rubbery rather than metal on metal)

Trans mount good?
Center carrier bearing good?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Walt - do a search under "shift boot" - you'll find your answer. Not too tuff but the retainer clips can be a PITA. In addition to what Tifosi said, see if you can get the car up in the air & check carefully underneath with a flashlite, you should see evidence of any rubbing on the floorpan. Good luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Removing shift boot retainer clips

Walt - do a search under "shift boot" - you'll find your answer. Not too tuff but the retainer clips can be a PITA. In addition to what Tifosi said, see if you can get the car up in the air & check carefully underneath with a flashlite, you should see evidence of any rubbing on the floorpan. Good luck.
Use a flat blade screwdriver and come in from the gearshift hole with it and they come off easily. I just took mine out today. Pictures will be in my thread forthcoming.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Shift Boot Replacement

A second problem I can use help with is:

I want to replace the torn boot on my "88 Quad's gear shift. Can anyone tell me how to remove the panel so I can install the new boot? I'm afraid that if I guess at how the panel come off I might end up breaking it.

Many thanks for any help.
Take off all the switch knobs and shift knob. Get a small plastic putty knife and pry it off at the corners. The panel comes off rather easy.
Check the following link on getting the clips off. Also, do you have a CarDisc? If not, I'd highly recommend one. It has all the shop manuals scanned for your car. I would not have had the nerve to rip apart my interior without it.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showpost.php?p=388914&postcount=28

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just reinstalled the new leather shift boot this morning. The leather is thicker than the vinyl so you will have to spread the clips out a bit with two pair of needle nose pliers prior to reclipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts