Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, all of a sudden I started getting strange noises from the engine compartment. On decel in gear, there would be a pronounced "EKK, EKK" type of noise along with a bit of high frequency vibration and sometimes a "whirring" noise similar to maybe a half-shaft on it's way out.

Checking around, I found that the dogbone brace body mount was bent slightly up and the bottom of the large end dogbone was rubbing against the bottom of the body mount. I hadn't noticed it before but it looked as if sometime in the past it had been knocked around and bent slightly upwards. So I tapped it back down a bit to what looked normal and the dogbone no longer had metal to metal contact. All noises went away.

As an adjunct to this, about six months ago, the mechanic failed to tighten the big end dogbone bolt and it was make a "TICK" sound upon initial engine accel. Tightened bolt and no more "TICK."

So, the moral of the story is, for weird noises, check the fast, easy, cheap stuff first like the Dogbone brace.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,996 Posts
Can't tell from your picture but is the angle of the big end welded on threaded boss angled up or down? It should angle up.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea. It angles up slightly from the big end. In other words, the engine mount is slightly higher than the body mount. Not a lot, however. Engine feels very solid even if you try and rock it hard.

Last time I took a hard look at the bottom mounts was about 7 months ago. Guiseppe at Alfa Import Center looked at them also when he did the TB and Hyd De-Ten retrofit last August. So I'm assuming they're still good. 67k miles on the car.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts