Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the nice weather we have been having, I have been using my Spider a little more. I have noticed there is a noise coming from the transmission when the car is in neutral and goes away when I engage the clutch. I also notice this noise when I am in 1st, 3rd and 5th gear (there is no noise in 2nd and 4th). Any idea what can cause this? Any idea as to the cure?

·
Registered
what part?
9,994 Posts
i am sorry. i heard that in the last 2 alfa trannys.. before they went.. drain the box. fish around with a small magnet, see what shows up...

·
Registered
512 Posts
My tranny made a weird noise for a few days.. right before the 5th gear/Rev fork bolt completely came loose and was chewed up by 70 miles of highway driving. What Bianchi said..... if there's something vaguely metal in the bottom or attached to the magnetic drain plug... it's showtime..)).. sooner the cheaper. I got away with replacing the bolt, cleaning the interior of the transmission, and reassembling.. good luck..
pic shows the bolt debris in the rear housing....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Keep in mind that is turning when in neutral and what is not when the clutch is depressed.

With the transmission in neutral and the clutch engaged the input shaft is turning. That now turns the counter shaft, which now turns eveything in the transmision except the output shaft. If you disengage the clutch everything in the transmission now stops turning.

So what could be making a noise with everything turning except the output shaft and with zero load on any of the moving parts? I am betting it is a bearing rumbling because it is either worn, or turning with a lack of lubrication. First step is to re-service the transmission with the proper lubricant filled to the correct level. If this does not solve the problem, then the only option is going into the transmission. Once inside, a close examination of all the cased ball bearings and the needle bearings should disclose the problem. My first guess is the cased ball bearing the input shaft turns in. The first bearing inside the gearbox. If it is a loose shifter fork it will be obvious on an internal examination of the gearbox.

Unfortunately on an Alfa gearbox there is no plate which can be taken off to look iside. You HAVE to remove the gearbox and split it open to have a look at the inside goodies.

Robert Hill in Memphis TN

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for everyone's input. I was thinking I am going to have to have the transmission rebuilt, but hoping that it was just nothing. Well... may be it is just low on oil like Robert mentioned, but I highly doubt it as it would make noises in all gears and not be totally fine in 2nd and 4th. Just when I completely redo the interior and all of the hoses in the enigine bay, this has to happen. I thought the Alfa Gods would look favorably on me, but guess not. Any ideas of a good (cheap) place to send the transmission to for a rebuild that I don't know about? I saw this guy that does work who's web site is AlfaSport - Premium Alfa Romeo Service and Repair. Any ideas if he is reputable or just the IAP or vicauto.com swap?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
""I thought the Alfa Gods would look favorably on me""

The Alfa gods are laughing at you. Just the same as all the rest of us.

I can build you a transmission for $350 labor plus parts. Minimum parts would be new syncros and input and output shaft bearings, plus whatever other defective parts are disclosed on inspection. I have 3 buildable cores on hand, so I could build you a transmission out of stock and you can keep on driving yours. When the rebuilt box is ready, we do an exchange, my rebuilt box plus costs (labor and parts) in exchange for your old box by UPS. Just a suggestion.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robert... I am VERY interested! I will PM you about contact info, etc. When I get home. This web site isn't blackberry friendly in trying to navigate

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Just in 1 and 3 gears or 1, 3, and 5? That could be as simple as rubbing on the shift lever housing. Those are all forward locations of the shift lever, which could be rubbing on something and 'rumbling' from engine vibration.

Problems like this are common as the rear TX support bushing ages and droops.

Robert

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Say, 60s Racer is right on the mark. You might want to try holding the shifter in a slightly different position and see if this affects the noise. If you have failing TX mount, it may be allowing the TX to drop into a position in which the shifter is being interferred with as it sits. Putting just enough pressure on the shifter to make it slightly be trying to engage with the clutch out in neutral.

Robert

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so I just drove it with a keen ear on the sounds in all gears. Reverse, it pops out and has been for the last 5 years I have owned it unless you hold it in. In neutral, makes the noise and gradualy stops when I engage the clutch (when the tranny stops spinning). 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th makes the noise but not as bad when I push on the gear shifter further into gear. 4th is totally fine. It also only makes the noise while accelerating and stops when decelerating. I would love for it to be the mount, as it would make sense as it does make the noise on decelerating and pushing it further in gear but 4th gear runs perfect??? Are the Alfa gods saying I should have blown my little Alfa stash on a tranny instead of a new interior?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Two common causes of popping out of Reverse. Most common is interference with the console, or with the steel spherical sliders on the top of the TX, or other parts there. It could simply be the shift lever out of position.

Second common cause is a slip or mis-adjustment of the 5-R shift fork. Sometimes the fork comes loose if the lock tab was not installed (some people think lock-tite is good enough - it is NOT). Then it slips on the shift shaft and causes problems. See comment above on the 5-R bolt coming loose.

Third is a slightly bent 5-R shift fork, usually caused by jamming the R gear in when the teeth are not quite aligned.

The above diagnoses are also possible - a bearing on the input or main shaft failing. The input shaft front bearing is the most common.

Check the shift lever issues - you have to take this stuff apart for any repair anyway. If that's not it, the TX has to come out for further work.

Robert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts