Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I saw this type of accelerator pivot on the Net, it would be for Giulietta Sprint Veloce, Spider Veloce , SS and SZ .
Does anyone recognize this lever or does someone has it on a car ?

Thanks for your help.
Best Regards,

Thierry

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ballough510,

Good idea, I had not thought of that possibility, thank you.
Hopefully someone can confirm that.
I added some extra pictures.
Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
The Italian small auto manufacturers were like mushrooms sprouting up out of any blank space that vws vacant and had electricity. Some were little more than two dozen workers tossing together parts from FIAT and ALFA and other sources and badging the finished product as their own creation. These are the likely candidates for this creation. They would take an off-the-shelf mass produced item from a mass producer and modify it in their shop to suit their needs rather than contract a run of say 2 dozen of therirown design from blueprints.. From the looks of this, the lever activating the carburetor is too far toward center for an Alfa with twin cams. It is probably "designed" to go into a narrow in line 4 cylinder FIAT derivative .. Just my 2 cents. The term "etceterterini" came into the vocabulary along with books on these Ma and Pa shops making cars in the 50's .. The landscape is littered with them and I believe this is one of those cobbled up solutions from one of them.. Carlo Abarth made himself into an icon doing it. U.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Divotandtralee,

I had the same idea until I discovered an identical lever for sale at an Italian seller. It was advertised for the same Alfa cars as listed in my first post. ... Coincidence ? That's possible. Did one of both sellers took the information of the other for granted, as often happens on the Net, and posted the same applications in his ad? ... still possible.
That's the reason why I wanted to ask the large AlfaBB community for any proof of what both sellers claim.
Thanks anyway.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
One whisper of untruth becomes truth if it is repeated enough. ask me what country I live in and how I would know. I don't know the truth.. only know this would never fit on an Alfa Romeo that I know. I think it is physically impossible.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have restored and worked on many Alfa and never saw that throttle bar. The mounting brackets and oil pressure line holder look similar to ones used on Giulietta cars but, the throttle bar is completely different.

·
Administrator
4,159 Posts
Joe is spot on, the RHD's have a very short cross shaft with a long tubular 'drop arm' to the accelerator pedal

The set up in #1 is definitely LHD, but not of a type I've ever seen before - I will defer to my Learned Uncle & I agree on his Etceterini theory

Just to squash the thought that it might be for a very early car, here is Jan '55 Sprint 1493*00024.... Yup the 24th Giulietta Sprint Normale manufactured - looks nothing like the one in #1

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great investigations men !

You should all know that after I send the pictures of the accelerator pivot to Carl this week, he replied with something like :" ... I'm confident you will figure it out Thierry" and now, who has solved the mystery dear Carl ?
You probably are correct that it will be part number 1365.67.717
The curved form was probably needed for avoiding the protrubing heater body.

From the 608 catalog I learned that the 1365.67.717 accelerator pivot was introduced from Berlina 1488.06501 and from the first Ti on and guess when the protruding Berlina heater was firstly mounted ... indeed, from the Berlina 1488.06501 and from the first Ti on !!
A last detail is that the distance between the two aluminium supports is a lot more than on the other levers. This can also be seen comparing Greig's pictures in posts # 9 and # 11.

Carl, if the accelerator pivot in Greig's post # 9 is original, it must definitely be the 1365.67.705 as mentioned in the 10/1956 catalog. I don't think there was already a picture of that one ins't it ?

Thanks to you all for showing interest and resolving this little mystery.

Rgds from Belgium,

Thierry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts