Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately there has been a lot of discussion about balancing/lining up yokes of GTV driveshafts. I have had a slowly increasing vibration, not much but enough to notice. I get up under and the female splines are wobbling back and forth on the splined section of the drive shaft. Coulda sworn they were snug a year ago? Ran it up to speed on the jackstands and could see the vibration at the splined section. So I get the drive shaft from the 73 and this is where it gets interesting... The yokes don't line up, they are half a spline off, how weird is that. So I have a parts car and that driveshaft is very rusted but the splines are tight as are the 73 that don't line up. The only thing I can reason is that the 73 that is out of whack has a 68 GT junior rear clip on it and had the non LSD rear axle on it and some one must have used the drive shaft from the junior and matched it with the female splines from the original 73 2L and they are slightly different. Does that make any sense for an explanation? Or all driveshaft/splines in the same orinetation of the splines and yokes? I guess that is the big question. IAP sells a driveshaft and since it's the weekend can't call to ask if they are balanced and what effect that has on the front section or does their rear driveshaft have to be balanced with one's orginal front section? Strange that the line up of the yokes would be half a spline off. On top of that I've never seen as much slop as the drivehaft the 74 has on the splines on any Alfa I've ever looked at. As the title says... strange... All replaceable parts have been replaced, front drive shaft bushing is good on the 74 but the others show some wear. I do have a low milage 410 rear end from a late modle spider in the 74.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts