Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange in that it did not do it last fall before the long, cold winter stored in a garage. Went for first drive and pulled left (left front brake working, it turned the wheel, right front not as much or not working). After driving a few miles and braking repeatedly, right front worked again. 2 days later, did the same, but corrected itself after a shorter drive. After a week or so, corrected itself after 3-4 braking. Question is whether it is master cylinder or just air in the lines. I have new calipers and hoses on the car from last year and new fluid.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'd re bleed the system then road test again.

·
Super Moderator
10,639 Posts
After driving a few miles and braking repeatedly, right front worked again. 2 days later, did the same, but corrected itself after a shorter drive. After a week or so, corrected itself after 3-4 braking....Question is whether it is master cylinder or just air in the lines.
These are classic symptoms of rust on the caliper piston(s) which typically occurs after the car has been sitting for an extended period of time. It has nothing to do with the MC (which is plumbed front-rear, not left-right). Your could try bleeding, but unless your pedal feels spongy, I doubt that is the issue.

This usually happens when the car is exposed to moisture: stored outdoors, old fluid, old calipers. It sounds like your car had the advantage of indoor storage and recent fluid/calipers. Still, it sounds as if enough corrosion formed to hang up one or more of the calipers.

The right way to fix this would be to disassemble the calipers and polish the sides of the pistons. Replace the square O ring seals while you're in there. But since your parts are almost new, you might just resort to a "cowboy repair": drive the car enough to wear off the rust through braking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts