Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Murray, anyway you could post the same video but have the tach in the same view.
Would make a great video even better.
No......wish I could cam is mounted to the rear view mirror but when the roll bar is in I can mount the cam to it where you can see the shift light flash at 6,800 rpm. That is what I was most likely shifting at in the video.

You can see the shift light flash in this short video.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My stinger isn't as loud as Murray's muffler either - but I enjoyed the video! Thanks! Love that black paint job, too! :D

I didn't mention that I also have a K&N air filter and headers, but do have the Italian resonator. I've either gotten used to the "louder" stinger, or it's mellowed out a bit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I also have a 91 Spider with the straight pipe instead of a muffler in back and it sounds great...not as loud as MSIERT which is good, because that was lound...also I am not runnig with a CAT..., don't use the radio because I would rather hear the exhaust...also remember this, the Alfa Spider, is not a luxury sports car...it is a sports car....glad you went with the straight pipe....

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 91 Spider and am using a straight pipe from the front muffler to the rear, without a Cat and it sounds great...not as loud as the example on this thread which is good, since that was loud, or at least for me...

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Thanks Dana,

The Spider got woken up early to put in a new steering wheel, it just so happen we had a nice stretch of warm (60F to 70F) weather going on when the new wheel came in, it was warm enough to melt 12"+ of snow in a week.

I'm going wait a bit to take her out agian maybe after some rain to clears off all the gravel and salt ..................but today it was 10F when I got up so winters back. :mad:

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,787 Posts
Stinger from Centerline on the GTV and will be ordering one for the Spider.
one mic on the back and one under the hood.... forget the visuals and close your eyes and listen:)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Rear muffler rusted where the pipe enters. The rear pipe and muffler are only about 4 yrs old. Had it cut off, added a straight piece and put the chrome tip back on. It's much louder, but not too bad. Wife prefers it this way...go figure. Cost $35, including tip...not the chrome one, the cash one. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mufflers

Ciao alfisti,

AR115/S4, 1991 with Cat

since one week I changed my totally rusted middle and rear mufflers.

The middle one to a noname stainless steel one and the rear one to fine stainless steel from Supersprint.

The sound is very clear "metallic", around 3000 rpms, not so loud for urban cruising.

But, I see that as a first step, until an middle one from Supersprint will be available.

I think, it was a good decision.

Now I would like to try an K&N-Airfilter to improve the intake sound.

Regards Dieter

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,150 Posts
When I got my car it had a stinger. It was too loud (Im only 37 if that matters,
lol) IMO. I didn't like the sound. I have since put in a dual tip ansa and it is awesome! I did not notice any power loss or gain, but the roar of the motor is much more refined. The car can still be heard- its just nicer IMO,,,,

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Ciao alfisti,

AR115/S4, 1991 with Cat

since one week I changed my totally rusted middle and rear mufflers.

The middle one to a noname stainless steel one and the rear one to fine stainless steel from Supersprint.

The sound is very clear "metallic", around 3000 rpms, not so loud for urban cruising.

But, I see that as a first step, until an middle one from Supersprint will be available.

I think, it was a good decision.

Now I would like to try an K&N-Airfilter to improve the intake sound.

Regards Dieter
I had a k/n set up and replaced with the factory type. The reason was for originality and more protection. The drop off in power and sound was noticeable.....I may go back!!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
zif any one wants it, I have the stinger that came on my Super laying around.
I too removed it because of the raucus sound. Replaced with a Super Sprint section....
Nice !
Randy

·
Registered
492 Posts
may be redundant at this point, and there are other similar threads, but on my '91 Spider I put on a stock "center" muffler (?? the under the car after the cat) and the stinger from Centerline in place of the stock rear unit. i for one noticed an increased sound, but nothing annoying or rice-ish, and I am what some might call middle age. When wound out you definitely hear it, but for regular driving and cruising it is not too noticeable. Between the engine noise itself and especially with the top down, I would say it is definitely not too loud. Keep in mind this is with the car intact, from what I have read before, the cat takes a great amount of the sound out. For instance, I listened to the GTV clip above, and while that sounds great it is significantly louder and aportier than how my '91 sounds. Plus the stinger is pretty cheap, worst case replace it with a stock muffler and resell it here.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
its really true, noticeable drop off power and sound?

regards
Dieter
The sound from the engine bay was most definitely reduced. The power may be"in my head" as I haven't tested it. FWIW ,It sure feels a tad slower...:confused:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Personally, I'm still trying to devise a good way to use this baby Centerline Products: PH110 Side-Exit Pipe for GTA on mine. I want it louder than stock, but not too loud- which is where I get problems, because with a much shorter setup it's going to be hard to fit mufflers.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.