Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Fast and loose description:
Without a rear can things will rev a little free-er up top with only a modest increase in noise at lower rev ranges. Slight power increase in midrange and up due to less flow restriction and it's about 10~15 lbs lighter in general.
You can talk to your passenger all the way up til wind noise makes it impossible and the only way you'll be heard 5 blocks away is if you're up on romp anyway.

With a rear can way down low torque when pulling away from a dead stop is a bit better, noise is a little more damped.

IMO, If you're a 'putterer', 'tooler', 'tourer' or 'cruiser' get the can, if you like to actually use the revs as they were meant to be used, get the stinger. Strictly my 2 cents on the matter of course, and I'm sure others will have varying opinions.

Numerous prior threads can also be researched by using keyword 'stinger' or 'stinger tailpipe' via the forum search engine.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Aw now c'mon Murray, your car has a lot of intake noise too that wouldn't be nearly as noticable on a stock intake system.

Granted I don't have the uber airbox you do, but my ITB's make enough noise that they literally mask the exhaust note unless I'm in a tunnel or something, so I'm gonna guess that you're getting at least 'some' resonance through the firewall making the vid above not all that true a comparitor for the exhaust setups. (besides, you've got like a 2 1/2" full custom rig under there to begin with don't you?)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Well, worst case scenario is you don't like it, but even then you could take it to a muffler shop and have a section of it cut out and replaced with a small free-flow/straight through glasspack or the like and prolly still beat the price of a dedicated stock piece.

Don't forget to nab a new lead doughnut while at it, or be prepared to get one locally at least if you didn't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.