Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear section exhaust on my '91 Spider is shot.

Few days ago I noticed that is hanging lot lower than where it should be...

At first I thought that the rubber hanger is done but when I got under the car I realized that the pipe it's just braking of at the point where it meets the muffler (rust ofcourse).

Now I am looking on the internet for new rear section and I came across this Tailpipe without muffler on Centerline website.

My question is: What is the diference between standard rear section and pipe without muffler and are there any advantages of second option?

Also if anybody knows how much louder it will be with straight pipe?

I love the Alfa sound and maybe would like to enhance it, but I also don't want to be heard five blocks away or not being able to talk to my passenger.

Thanks...

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Fast and loose description:
Without a rear can things will rev a little free-er up top with only a modest increase in noise at lower rev ranges. Slight power increase in midrange and up due to less flow restriction and it's about 10~15 lbs lighter in general.
You can talk to your passenger all the way up til wind noise makes it impossible and the only way you'll be heard 5 blocks away is if you're up on romp anyway.

With a rear can way down low torque when pulling away from a dead stop is a bit better, noise is a little more damped.

IMO, If you're a 'putterer', 'tooler', 'tourer' or 'cruiser' get the can, if you like to actually use the revs as they were meant to be used, get the stinger. Strictly my 2 cents on the matter of course, and I'm sure others will have varying opinions.

Numerous prior threads can also be researched by using keyword 'stinger' or 'stinger tailpipe' via the forum search engine.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have one, no difference in power or "noise", but it is one less thing to rust out. I did put a thick coat of aluminum paint on it. So I would recommend it.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Some recent experience:

On my 101 Spider with the 2 L, the first resonator was not there and with hopes for a quieter ride put a "bottle" one in. Little difference as a lot of the noise was elsewhere.

No longer on and the exhaust note, with the final resonator still on, is good.:cool:

A 2.25-inch stainless has been fabricated for my Sprint--with even a hotter 2L.

This has a large muffler where the first resonator would be and is offset such that the bulk of the muffler is inset from being under the seat. A good-sized oval resonator is where the big muffler would be and this is followed by a final resonator that looks like a normal one.

Except bigger.

We got it running over the week end and it sounds good:cool:, but as it is not yet licensed we don't know what it sounds like at WOT.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Had the same problem...

I went with the straight pipe. I didn't buy it from Centerline, just had the shop make one. I think it's a little louder then I like and much louder then before. And I am no fart, it just makes more noise then speed. If the car were flying down the road making that much noise... ok. But lets be real, these cars are not fast by todays standards. I will be putting a muffler on soon.

Marcos

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like the "stinger" on my '85 Spider. To me, it's not too loud or obnoxious, and I'm over 50.

I can't feel any extra power, but I do Love the sound of the engine's music, and pulled the radio I couldn't hear the year I bought it (that was with the can).

I did have a problem with the twin-tip muffler from IAP and returned the first one that broke. I had all the proper rubber mounts, and the new one broke the pipe on the muffler assembly just after the hanger. I figured it was weight, and there is no hanger provided for the very end of the exhaust. When the new one was installed and broke in the same place, I welded it and added an extra brace to try and strengthen it, then painted the repair. In the meantime, after the 1st one broke and thought I had to wait a while for the warrantied replacement, I bought and installed the straight pipe from Centerline. The new repaired twin-tip Ansa is still in the garage. :D

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Aw now c'mon Murray, your car has a lot of intake noise too that wouldn't be nearly as noticable on a stock intake system.

Granted I don't have the uber airbox you do, but my ITB's make enough noise that they literally mask the exhaust note unless I'm in a tunnel or something, so I'm gonna guess that you're getting at least 'some' resonance through the firewall making the vid above not all that true a comparitor for the exhaust setups. (besides, you've got like a 2 1/2" full custom rig under there to begin with don't you?)

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think Murray's video is great - given his mods, you can still hear the difference, as the engine variable remains the same. Great video, regardless.

I've often wanted to try a stinger, but I really don't want to draw attention to myself. Living in a fairly suburban area, it would be noisy to most people.

Now, if there was an exhuast that increased low end sound, created a lot more burble and blatting, I'd be all over that.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I tried the stinger and didn't like the sound...it was a lot of noise for the power and speed. Kind of reminded me of these Civics running around. So I took it off put the muffler back on and not long after the center muffler went out. So I had the muffler shop weld a straight pipe instead. This sound is much nicer in my opinion, kind of deep sound that doesn't sound "fake". You do get some droning though, but overall I think its good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many different opinions... as I thought...

I already went for it and ordered the Stinger.

There is only one way to find out if I like it not.

We'll se when I install it and take it for a ride...

I'll let you know...

Thanks again for your input.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Well, worst case scenario is you don't like it, but even then you could take it to a muffler shop and have a section of it cut out and replaced with a small free-flow/straight through glasspack or the like and prolly still beat the price of a dedicated stock piece.

Don't forget to nab a new lead doughnut while at it, or be prepared to get one locally at least if you didn't.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
LOL, I like the screwdrivers right next to the outlet.

Saves the hassle of walking them from wherever to stick them in :D
Hey Darren I've done that, when I was 2 I stuck a pair of tweezers into an outlet.......Mom said she watch me do it said the sparks flew with a bang and after it was all over I just sat there giggling. :D

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
i replaced my rear muffler with the ansa sport exhaust.

most likely will remove the center muffler this year at some point.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts