Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I purchased, a couple months ago, a new mid muffler and straight pipe from centerline along with new hangers. I installed with the rear of car on jack stands. I'm pretty sure that's what I read on how you are supposed to do it. Problem is i have a terrible vibration sound that I have been dealing with because the end of the pipe is a bigger diameter. Any way around this beside taking it to a shop and having the rear portion of the straight pipe heated up and bent down a bit? I've tried redjusting a few times but it seems that the hanger doesn't drop enough.

Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a similar problem with my rear straight pipe.

It was just a 1/4" inch too far to the side at the rear valance. I tried fiddling with the hangers and rebolting the flange at the rear axle several times with no luck.

Finally, I just grabbed the end of the pipe when it was all bolted up to the car, put my foot on the end close to the axle to prevent tearing the hangers, and gave it a good yank in the oposite direction. Worked like a charm.

The rear pipe is like a 4-foot lever arm, and can be flexed a bit by hand.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Simular issue, different fix:

I lined the hole in the rear tinwork where the tip sticks out with a bit of split heater hose tucked on form the inside of the lip and anchored each end with a screw sunk into the rubber enough where they won't buzz on the pipe.

The tip still sits up in cutout, but if it moves at all it's damped by the rubber.

Note that it won't work with the pastic panel version on the Quad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great ideas! Thanks

·
Registered
770 Posts
not really the same problem but I had to adjust the position of the first muffler on my spider too. it was from centerline.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Most of the time the tail pipe can be adjusted by way of differential tightening of the 3 bolts where it mounts to the center section. That is, if the flanges are parallel it usually does not fit correctly. The doughnut gasket specifically allows the angled mounting between center section and tailpipe flange. So if hits the body, the bolt(s) toward the rear of the car should be tight with the flange almost or touching in that area and a wide gap in the front between the flanges. This also allows moving the tailpipe side to side. Barring a misaligned center section/muffler this should do it in most cases. If not, bending is your only option.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried a few different times to redajust at the flange and all the way to the cat. It became a little better but still vvviiibbbrrrates. I like the brute force method but will probably try the dampening method Tifosi speaks of.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Most of the time the tail pipe can be adjusted by way of differential tightening of the 3 bolts where it mounts to the center section. That is, if the flanges are parallel it usually does not fit correctly. The doughnut gasket specifically allows the angled mounting between center section and tailpipe flange. So if hits the body, the bolt(s) toward the rear of the car should be tight with the flange almost or touching in that area and a wide gap in the front between the flanges. This also allows moving the tailpipe side to side. Barring a misaligned center section/muffler this should do it in most cases. If not, bending is your only option.
This method has worked well for me on several Alfa's. I'm a bit anal about having the tailpipe properly aligned with the rear body valance, and just went through this on my "new" '92 Spider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts