Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do your guys think of trickle chargers, I have a couple cars that are sitting and was thinking about purchasing trickle chargers to keep the batteries from going dead?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I use a Battery Tender on both of my cars. It definately helps with keeping a full charge on the batteries. Without it, my batteries tended to go flat in about two weeks if I did not drive the cars. Last winter I had the tenders on the batteries all the time and I had no problem starting up.

I do disconnect the battery from the car while I have it on the tender.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim - is there a reason for leaving the battery disconected? one of the main reasons i was thinking about this was to store the radio memory and codes along with the other memory functions that are in one of the two cars i am thinking of using this on, I guess the main fear i have is a fire or ruining electrical systems

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The're a godsend:). I use 4 on non-daily drivers (including the Alfa) and 1 for the scoot. Even though I sometimes use the scoot daily, I have it parked right by the outlet and automatically use the affixed pigtail routeinly when I get off of it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Jason,

I dont have a radio, so I don't have to worry about that. I use a green knob battery disconnect - there are versions that have a low watt bypass to keep radio memory alive.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
The problem with most modern cars is that the hi-tech radios themselves tend to drain the battery after a while. Disconnecting the battery while still powering the radio with a bypass will not help.

I take out the radio fuse and leave the car alone otherwise, and it's good for at least 5 weeks without starting, using a Kirkland (Costco) general battery of the correct size. Did this with the 91 S, stored in the garage, while on my 5 week drive with the LS. Got back and had no problems starting the S. The newer Interstate battery in the LS doesn't act as energetic, doesn't give me much confidence. It too will eventually get a Kirkland.

Used one of the battery tenders in the boat while it sat between uses, and found that the slight but continual charging by the tender will slowly drive the water out of the battery, thus ruining the battery. If you use one of these things, you have to keep an eye on the fluid level in the battery. As with most rechargeable batteries of all types, it's better to let it sit, with occasional deeper recharging cycles. It works for us.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,027 Posts
Used one of the battery tenders in the boat while it sat between uses, and found that the slight but continual charging by the tender will slowly drive the water out of the battery, thus ruining the battery. If you use one of these things, you have to keep an eye on the fluid level in the battery.
Are you using an old-style "dumb" trickle charger? Generally the situation you describe is why they're not a good idea. The modern, microprocessor controlled ones should not do this, as they stop the trickle charge once the battery is full and only restart it after the battery drops below a certain threshold.

I think I got my smart charger at Pep Boys for like $30.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't bought one yet, but i was looking at ones that would shut them selves off when the battery was fully charged and wouldn't kick on till it droped bellow a certain voltage
thanks

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Nope, we had a newer expensive electronic "state of the art" floating top up module, as sold for motorhomes, boats, i.e., for vehicles which are used infrequently, NOT an older trickle charger. Yes, it was supposed to shut off when the battery was fully charged, turning back on when needed but evidently that's not enough.

Needless to say, we haven't had any problems since we threw it out. We've had the boat for 30 years, and never had any battery problems until we went to this module, and then the batteries would suffer from fluid evaporation. After we changed back to regular but infrequent recharging, there've been no problems.

·
Richard Jemison
7,729 Posts
Maintaince Chargers

I think I got my smart charger at Pep Boys for like $30.:eek::eek:
I feel your pain!
Harbour Freight $6.95 Bought 3 all work great!:D Only on below programed voltage. ( Chinese Volts?) :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts