Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone
I put the car away at a heated garage (My mom's house)

I just dropped of the car on the 31st however I will be going back in a few days to prep for the winter. Its my first winter with the car so let me know if I am missing anything major

1) will be covering the car with the cover
2) Attaching a trickle charger. Leaving it connect to the car at all times
3) removing the spare tie from the spare tire well. Pointer given to be from another alfa owner. (he said it alot of the rust is due to the spare tire kept in wheel well)

This one I am not sure of but I was told to overinflate the tires to ensure they dont crack.

Also what can I expect to need to do at startup in the spring?

Mechanic had just changed all the fluids in the car...he said no difference if you do it at end of season or beginning.

Also changed the rear bearings and U joint.

Nothing else wrong with the car at the moment!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Would suggest adding a fuel stabilizer such as Seafoam, and running car for 5 minutes to make sure it goes through entire fuel system. I would always change the fluids before storage, so no contaminants remain in motor while stored.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect I'll work on getting the fuel stabilizer in and keep the engine running. I'll get the car outside for that! :)

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
I second the idea to add a fuel stabilzer. Stabil is another well known brand. And a full gas tank will minimize condensation inside the tank.

3) removing the spare tie from the spare tire well.
As long as the spare tire well is dry I don't think having the tire in there or not would make any difference.

I was told to overinflate the tires to ensure they dont crack.
Not so much to avoid cracking but to keep them from 'flat spotting'.

Also what can I expect to need to do at startup in the spring?
Turn the key and enjoy!

Resist the temptation to start it up and let it idle for a little while. That can do more harm than good. If you have an opportunity to take it out for a 45-60 minute drive then go for it.

Mechanic... said no difference if you do it at end of season or beginning.
I disagree. You want fresh fluids in there during storage. And also because it is then ready to go when the nice spring weather arrives.

If there is any chance of rodents in the garage, consider either some mothballs or dryer sheets in the interior, trunk & engine bay. And perhaps cover the tailpipe so it doesn't become a nut storage chamber.

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
removing the spare tie from the spare tire well. Pointer given to be from another alfa owner. (he said it alot of the rust is due to the spare tire kept in wheel well)
I mostly agree with ghnl - it isn't obvious why having the spare in there would lead to rust. Spare tire wells DO rust beneath the tire, but I believe the reason is simply that the tire abrades off the paint as the car bounces around, and that lack of paint leads to rust.

Perhaps there is some causality between condensation and tire well rust. But condensation would occur year-round; not just during the winter when the car is in storage. The key for protecting all parts of the car is storing it in a dry climate. If your mom's garage has any moisture, then removing the trunk mat, rather than the spare tire, and leaving the trunk lid ajar might help speed the evaporation of any condensation.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I like it when in the Sping I start my Alfa an the dead mice fly out of my exhaust. Cool site! Storing Alfas for over 30 years oil & stable, but sometimes I forget the stable. Doesn't make a difference. Oil is important and coolant good.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I sometime wish I lived in warm and sunny California (or other warm location with no snow) but, the feeling I get when I first start the Spider in the spring and take it for it's first drive is unbeatable!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Tyres are inflated to prevent getting flat spots. Normally they are inflated to about 4 bar but check the maximum allowable pressure indicated on the tyres, which should not be exceeded. It will also help if the car is moved a few inches back and forth during storage.

Let the engine warm up properly before putting in hibernation (at least a 20 km run). That way acidic contaminants finding their way into the oil through cylinder leakages will evaporate and won't end up attacking the engine internals.

And for the fanatics, you can squirt some oil (about a teaspoon) through the spark plug holes and turn the engine a few turns by hand to distribute the oil along the cylinder walls.

And last but not least, I would disconnect the battery.

Then kiss your baby good bye.

·
Registered
705 Posts
A ball of steel wool works well in the tail pipe. If you forget it, it just blows right out when you start it in the spring.
Steel wool can be lit on fire. Probably not the coarse stuff, but fine grades burn like mad. In fact, here's a nifty little survivalist trick for all you preppers...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts