Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having this intermitten problem driving me crazy. Out on the road about 2 miles into my errand the car shuts off. I pull over it starts right up and I drive another 10 miles no problem.. This has happened before and it always start right up and only once before has it done the same thing on the same drive. I have also gone 25-30 miles and it will run fine the whole trip.
Replaced fuel filter up front, new plug, new plug wires I have looked all around for loose wiring all to no end. This problem all starte when I had a fuel leak and siphoned the gas out so I could replace the fuel line.
So three thoughts, vapor lock? Tank venting issue, or faulty ignition switch. I have posted before with this problem but so far none of the suggestions have panned out.

Vince

·
Administrator
17,065 Posts
What model? Carbs or SPICA or EFI?

If you have an electronic tach try to see if the tach needle drops then the engine dies or does it seem to read as the engine dies. The electronic tach works off the ignition. If the tach dies that means an ignition fault. If the tach reads as it dies then likely a fuel problem.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
If I remember correctly you have a late 70's spider, so electric fuel pump(s). When the car is cold and you turn the key to "on/run" (not start) you should hear the fuel pump, it is under the floor behind the passenger seat. Your car may also be equipped with an intank pump, you can test it with a hot wire to see if it works. If this is a condition that happens when you have less then 1/2 tank of gas I'd suspect the intank pump, if the in-tank pump is functioning and this happens with full tank then the main pump is suspect, though you could have a bad engine to body ground and or/the battery isn't secured to its mounting. Other possible problems include coil mounting and wire, if conventional ignition, the ground inside the distributor, the ignition switch itself is very, very, low on the list. There is an auxiliary fuse box next to the main fuse box under the dash for the electric fuel pump, there could be corrosion or a loose connection.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions. It is a Spica car with conventional ignition. I have noticed it will only occur when I have less than 3/4 tank of gas. Filled it up today and went out for around a 10 mile run and not a problem.
When I turn the key to on I hear the pump, although it sounds more like it is coming more from behind me than under the passenger seat, I need to check battery and make sure it is secure plus that engine to body ground and that fuse. Once again thanks to everyone

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Yup. Highly likely it's a bad in tank boost pump. Verify the sending unit/pump is well grounded, then run a wire directly from the in tank pump connector spade atop the sending unit to the battery (connect the wire to the pump first, THEN touch the other end of the wire to the battery- no spark allowed above a fuel tank!) and you will likely not hear a thing when instead you should hear the submerged pump run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts