Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Red 1991 Alfa Romeo was stolen on early Saturday morning 9-11-2021 from the parking lot at the Doubletree in Colorado Springs, CO at the Alfa Romeo Convention!!!
If you see used parts come up for sale let me know!!
Stolen from Doubletree Colorado Springs 9-11-2021
Case #21-34954 CO Springs Po
Plate Bhk-E08.
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S

call Sandro 303-902-3485
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Tire

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
Well, that really sucks. Wonder how they did that.

·
1991 164L
27,919 Posts
That is a real bummer

·
Super Moderator
12,288 Posts
Well, that really sucks. Wonder how they did that.
Yes. A 164 does have a steering lock and fairly secure door locks. There would have been many older (and more valuable) cars in the convention lot that would have been easier to get into and jump start.

·
17,388 Posts
A relative who lives in El Paso had told us once a few years ago that gangs from across the river to the south had been stealing cars in El Paso by using flat bed tow trucks and just plain quickly dragging the cars on board in the middle of the night and driving off. No much of a problem the last couple of times we've visited, they saying that it's not common these days for some reason.

Maybe...

Could be there is more to the story?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
This is horrible news, check with the hotel, it’s possible security cameras were installed. Hate to put blame on the roving security guard because you can’t be everywhere, but hey, ***. I know security is there just for appearance, I’ve been to so many conventions and have been in the parking lots late at night and no one has ever approached me. Not good advertising for the conventions either. Hope your car appears soon and in one piece. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That's terrible news. Hope it comes back soon.
I've been thinking about GPS tracking on my cars lately, seeing that the values are climbing. A small price for piece of mind. Best Hidden GPS Trackers For Cars

Reactions: richardbradford

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I was at the convention, and heard of your loss. As a fellow 164 owner (95 Q) I'm not aware of a 'hot market' for 164 parts/chop shops. So as others have said, why target a 164 when more highly prized models were available in the lot. I was actually staying at a nearby friend's house, else my Q may have met this fate. Hope you are able to recover.

There are not that may Alfas, let alone 164's in this area.

Reactions: richardbradford

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
There would have been many older (and more valuable) cars in the convention lot that would have been easier to get into and jump start.
Yes but none of those older cars have catalytic converters. Hopefully they just cut them off and left the rest of the car to be found without damage.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I am sorry for your loss and hope you get your 'S' back. I must say the thieves have good taste -even if they are dishonest fools. Hopefully it just made its way to the local impound yard; check with the towing service the hotel uses too.

Mark

·
17,388 Posts
You would think that in a town that size, it shouldn't be too hard to trace/find? Unless it was trucked away?

Still I cannot imagine it getting stolen. Young people might do it, but then again, most of them cannot drive a shift car.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Man, Sandro, I hope your 164 is located soon. Sounds like either a joy ride, or a cat converter theft. We had a 164LS, and I would think they're not that easy to get started during a quick theft. But then thieves have their methods.

·
17,388 Posts
A reason to have a battery shutoff switch? I have one, but haven't installed it (yet). I think I will tomorrow.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My guess, if the 164 was parked as in the picture, a tow truck took it away.
Looks less suspicious if anyone stops to ask.
Actually it was only parked here for the Parts Swap Night. I moved it shortly thereafter and parked it right next to my Verde and Truck where it was stolen from....

·
17,388 Posts
Could be. Lift the front, and tow away, esp since the hand brake on these cars is never all that good, if they are even applied. Many don't.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Tow truck would get around any security measure. Do the 1991 models have motion sensors? Guessing not. Not even sure if my series 2 car does. Last year some pigs (being polite) tried to steal a friend's 1995 cloverleaf. The immobiliser stopped them from being able to start it though they did some damage trying. No chance of them using a tow truck as was in a basement carpark.
Can't imagine it was stolen for the cat - maybe some opportunist just thought it was an easy pick for a good looking car.
Hope you find it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts