Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can someone please tell me what the factory clearances should be between the cam followers & cam. I have just gauged all my mine in metric and can't find any reference information on what they should be and whether or not I need to lift the cam to the change the valve shims. Also what typically is the plus/minus from stock.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Nic

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Up to '78 clearances on a cold engine are inlet .475 to .500 mm and exhaust .525 to .550mm. The Alfa shims are available in .025 increments from 1.3 to 3.5 mm.
You can "roll" the cams to one side by releasing the tension on the chain sufficient to allow the cam to be lifted out of its carrier bearings but still keeping the chain attached to the sprockets and thus get access to the followers.
The usual method is tabulate the actual dimensions together with the factory clearances and then do the calculation as to what is required more or less. By removing the shims you can measure them individually and recalulate the new size of shim required.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stuart
Thankyou very much for this information.
Yes I'm going to take that approach of leaving cams on the sprocket.
Would you also know what the torque settings are for the bolts on the half bearings over the cams?
Any other tips or tricks you have would be greatly apprceciated.

Cheers
Nic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts