Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
He was a national hero when I growing up in England when the nation longed for a British Champion. He was in a class of his own after Fangio retired but always seemed to be in the wrong car, a bit like Alonso in more recent times.
RIP Sir Stirling.

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
One of my early driver heroes. Was shocked when he decided to retire early from serious racing for medical reasons due to a very bad crash in 1962

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
A legend, who wanted to support the English racing industry but they weren't ready.

His sportsmanship unfortunately is missing in modern motor sport.

Pete

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
Somehow with all the virus news I didn't see this in the paper. Wow, too bad, seemed like he would live indefinitely. He retired from racing, what, 58 years ago.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Very sad and yes, very quietly noted Andrew. You'd think it would make the headlines most other times.

When I posted something about this on FB my brother kindly (?) reminded me I'd actually seen him not just race but win, and from close distance:

Sadly I was 4 at the time and have zero memory of it...but check out the entry list. Of course a couple of years later Lady Wigram became part of the Tasman Series, which was an absolute highlight for motor sport in ANZ through the 60's and 70's. But I digress.....

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
My dad and I went to one of the Times Grand Prix(s) at Riverside, would have been 62 or 63, I don't have any recollection of it. His accident was Easter 62, right, so he wouldn't be have been there.
My fave item about him was a Road & Track photo, probably at Nassau but maybe Monaco, he's in a Formula car at the back of a bunch of cars jammed up on a public street. The caption is something like, "In every traffic jam there's always some guy in back who thinks he's Stirling Moss." And it was.

Andrew

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
His greatest achievement has to be the 1955 Mille Miglia. Averaging so very close to 100mph on public roads. Utterly terrifying and amazing. The race record for the Bathurst 1000 is only 103mph (2018 - Bathurst 1000 - Wikipedia) and that is a circuit race and they have co drivers and its only 620 miles!

Pete

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
I've got a book, The Racing Driver, written by his navigator, Denis Jenkinson, about that race. Terrifying description about that race win.

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
Jenks's piece is reprinted a number of places. Remarkable job by both of them. Really, hard to believe humans could do what they did on the Mille Miglia. Flat out, all day, all over Italy. Think of it.
Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts