Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I posted about my '88 Spider suddenly cutting out on me. I got really good direction and I've followed it. Unfortunately, my Spider still will not run.

Background: I was driving along just fine and the engine suddenly shut off. It is electrical, not mechanical. All the accessories work, it turns over just fine but will not start.

The car is getting spark. I checked every fuse in the fuse box with my multimeter and they are all good. I checked the 25A fuse in the engine compartment and it is good. I did the same for the fuel pump fuse and it is good. I also checked for voltage on both sides of the fuel pump fuse and there is power. I checked the flywheel sensors and their Ohm readings are good. I did turn on the ignition and checked for power at the in-tank pump. The main pink and white wire had no voltage, the smaller wires did have voltage.

I'm at a loss of what to do next. Something appears to have shut off the fuel supply very suddenly and without warning. The car absolutely purred prior to this; now it is silent and I'm in prime top down weather now that Irene and Lee have left Virginia.

Thanks for the help,

Pete
Richmond, VA
'88 Spider Red of course.
'01 Diesel Beetle
Rans Rocket Recumbent Bicycle

·
Registered
208 Posts
Check the ground/earth cable from the battery. Actually take it off and clean it.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I did turn on the ignition and checked for power at the in-tank pump. The main pink and white wire had no voltage,...
Normal.
Try the same test with key in START.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
1985 was the last year for the factory installed inertia switch. PinVA's 1988 Spider should not have one.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I don't suppose you have a fuel cut off switch that a PO fitted and forgot to tell you about....the PO on my S4 fitted one (also didn't bother to tell me!) and I somehow flicked it off when hoovering out the car, without realising.......stumped me for a good week, till I retraced my steps, found the tiny hidden switch and bob's your uncle she started right up.

·
1991 164L
27,633 Posts
Your in tank pump may have quit.

If fuse for pump circuit located in front of ignition and L-jetronic ECUs (computers) under rear cargo area is good, check small "drive" relay next to computer for power with key on.

Next if long tachometric relay buried under ignition ECU unbolt ECU to access relay again with key on check for 12v power at red wire and white red wire.

If not power at white red wire but at red wire remove relay and jumper red to white-red in relay socket and with key on check for power at white-red wire at in tank pump.

See if in tank and nder car pumps will run and try to car start that way.

If in tank pump dead, remove it and disconnect hose from it. With white- red wire end taped off for safety drop pump hose into tank gas and try to prime under belly pump and see if engine will run.

If so, get a new tank pump and filter element.

Report your findings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts