Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the electronic ignition. Went to blue coil. Removed old spark amplifier.
Now a stupid question, the green and black wire and red wire are the only one's going to positive side of coil? My volt meter, with ignition on shows only about 4 to 5 Volts. The other side of fender well where a few of the positive wires juncture together only has about 7 Volts..... I'm at a loss.... Any suggestions? Thanks... And it's a 79 Alfetta GT

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
You either have a very dead battery or a large voltage drop somewhere. Check the voltage at the battery and compare to what is coming out of the ignition switch, etc until you've found the problem.

Do you have a ballast resistor wired in? If so, that would explain the difference in voltages at the coil and at the fender junction. The green and black wire to the coil is likely "Terminal 16," or the ballast resistor bypass circuit that is only active while cranking the engine---this allows full voltage to the coil for easier starting, and when the engine starts and the key is released, primary voltage will flow through the ballast resistor as normal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.. I did away with the ballast resistor. Because of the blue coil. Was told no need for it. Didn't have time to look at it . Hopefully tomorrow... I'm in Construction, so I'm still a " vital" worker! Lol I did have the car on jack stands. Being underneath it earlier. I wonder if I crushed a wire or something?? Thanks again... Be well and wash hands.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I hear you . . . I work on cars for a living so I am also going to work every day in the midst of all of this. I am very grateful to have work but it is also quite strange, and I feel for those who are less fortunate. And as auto technicians we already washed our hands a lot, now even more so! Plus disinfecting car interiors, etc . . . .

If I am understanding you correctly, you changed to a coil that has more primary resistance than stock? If that is the case, there might not be enough available energy to start a cold engine.

But, your measured voltage readings seem to be very low in any case, so check that out first and report back.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
I found that the stock ignition system in my Alfettas was just fine, no need for trying something different. The only thing I did for the 78 sedan was add a Delta Mark 10 capacitive discharge system to the stock setup. This was to protect the points, preventing them from eventually burning, getting too hot. Worked fine for 180k miles.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine never had points. The original owner put in a electronic ignition. With the amplifier.... I just switched it out with the Ignighter from Centerline

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
If you haven't done so it looks like it's time to do a thorough check of your wiring. Start with your battery ground, of course. Several years ago I did a lot of tail-chasing on my Super until I pulled the plastic shroud covering the ignition switch and cleaned the wire connections therein. In particular you'll find a large black power wire (check your wiring diagram) that proved to be my problem. Once I cleaned that my low voltage problems went away. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts