Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently took possession of a truly amazing 164 S....the car is in spectacular shape and I'm reliving my teenage years when my dad had one. I'm thrilled to have it my collection! Now I just need to find that "drug" that will stop my car addiction!!!! :D

I'm trying to diagnose a couple of things. First of all, the clutch is very stiff, and when you release the pedal, it comes back very slowly, almost 2 seconds, instead of the standard spring back that it should have. Is this a cable or master/slave cylinder issue?

Also, the steering is very loud when cold when the wheel is turned. Once it warms up, it makes the noise only when at full lock. I've ordered a bunch of suspension bits to bring the suspension back to "as new" (bushings and ball joints) and was wondering what is causing this? Time for a new power steering belt? Tie rod ends?

My washer fluid light is on even though the reservoir is full....level sensor issue?

And forgive my ignorance, but do the 164's have three shift linkages similar to my Peugeot 405 Mi16s? I've replaced those in my Pug and it makes a world of difference to the shifting and was hoping to do the same here.

Thanks in advance!

Paul Hughes
'91 164 S :D
'91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 :)
'89 Peugeot 405 Mi16
'06 Saab 9-3 Aero convertible
'03 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
'05 Jaguar X-type Sport

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Hi Paul,

First, welcome to the forum! The 164 is one of the best Alfas ever made.

The stiff/slow clutch pedal is fairly normal. There is probably a damper between your clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder. My advice would be to remove it and replace the original clutch MC hose. That should make the clutch action a little smoother. If it is still stiff, your input slide that goes on your input bearing could be dry/non-lubricated.

Have you made sure your power steering reservoir is full? Sounds stupid, but it will make extra noise if it isn't full to the line. Your rack could also be going out, but these are fairly inexpensive...

After you replace your suspension bushings, make sure to get an allignment.

As far as the washer light, take the level sensor out and see if it has been blocked by crud. You could also disable the light if nothing else works.

I'm not sure what you are really referring to as far as shift linkages, however, I believe the 164 only has one...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Good Ol' Sean has you on the right track.
The clutch damper makes it slow on the return, to preclude speed shifts. Trace the line from the clutch cyl. back and you'll find it. You can bypass it if you want-I've been meaning to, but you get used to it.
The washer light signal comes from a deal that is similar to a toilet float. Clean it off and squirt some WD-40 or whatever on it and it may heal up. My issues have always been with the coolant level sensor.
You'll love the car if you drive it hard!

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
Yes, pulling that darn damper was the first thing I did when I bought my 91S. Hasn't hurt the clutch at all, with 138k miles on the original yet.

With the new alignment, as Sean recommends, make sure the front toe is set to either zero or just a little!! hair toe in. Most shops have no clue.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The stiff clutch could also be a sign of a clutch unit nearing the end of its service life.

Like others have suggested, I would check for the damper. If not present check operation of both the slave and clutch MC.

The S are nice cars to have. Enjoy driving it.

·
Premium Member
27,283 Posts
In addition to removing clutch damper (bolted to air cleaner mounting bracket) also install a new hose from firewall rigid line connection point and hook the new hose directly to slave cylinder on tranny.

As for suspension noise be sure you have ordered new lower strut bearings (big yellow plastic caged ones).

Shifting system has two rods and three bushings - one in reaction rod bushing and two in shifter Y-yoke fitting that bolts to tranny shift rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts