Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm occasionally getting a kind of stiff response from my clutch pedal when I'm driving my 1991 164S (after it's really warm). When it happens, it feels like the pedal doesn't return back up into engaged position smoothly (like there's some resistance). It doesn't happen all that much yet, but I'm just wondering what could be going on. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Steve

·
Registered
587 Posts
Do a search on this issue, there is\was hockey puck shaped damper in line with the hydraulic line running from your firewall to your slave cylinder. They go bad.You can remove it and the existing line is long enough to just go straight into your slave cylinder. You will need to bleed the clutch when complete.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
The rubber on the inside of the hose also goes bad and causes the hose to collapse on the ID. Replace the clutch hose .

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Lots of 164 cars have already had the damper removed. Either way you want to wind up with a new hose from the firewall direct to the slave cylinder. Hopefully you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Take a look at my thread on clutch master cylinder overhaul.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/184549-clutch-master-cylinder-overhaul.html

Mine had that pedal sticking problem from the beginning but it got worse as it went on. Eventually I had to pull the pedal up to get full clutch engagement. After a while, I noticed brake fluid was disappearing and found a leak on the clutch cylinder.

As the end of the clutch cylinder gets pitted by corrosion, it causes the gaskets on the piston to stick. Eventually they fail and then you've got no clutch. It's an easy fix even though the manual says overhauling can't be done.

I've done about 1000 km with these new rings and not once did I get a sticking pedal. I'm very pleased with the results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts