Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My right rear caliper was slightly dragging creating a heat buildup. Not real bad, but noticeable. I disconnected the parking brake cable and found that the parking brake actuating lever on the bottom of the caliper was fairly stiff, but did loosen up with some spray and manipulation. Even still it didn't move as freely as I like. The cable itself moves freely, though. The OEM spring feels like it's just not up to the job by itself anymore. Left rear parking brake operates normally.

Short of a new caliper, what I did was install a helper spring from the hardware store. Just a fairly stiff spring with long ends that you can cut off and bend as necessary to get the right tension. It just wraps around the strut and give enough tension to disengage the parking brake mechanism. I consider it a semi-permanent fix until I get come up to a rear brake change. Here's a pretty poor picture, but gives you the idea.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Lots of rust around there, so not surprised you might have problems. A considerable amount of cleanup needed.

In my strut rebuild, I'm using rust neutralizer on the very few corrosion points present, and then repainting, basically the front suspension, the rears being clean.

Will also use LPS3 on the few exposed repainted parts that originally showed minor signs of corrosion, meaning the lower part of the strut where the wrapped around mounting flanges attach to the tube. That lap joint has a tendency to trap dirt and water, thus corrosion between the metal pieces, witness the two used front struts I got from back east a few years ago, with corrosion swelling and breaking through the outer metal. That was a pisser, finding that, the struts having only 65k miles.

Still, for the handbrake, what I do that Carlo recommended was to use the hand brake religiously every day. Have had no problems with it in the 91S in 175k miles (so far, lol).

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea. This summer I need to do some clean-up on it. I use the handbrake as well. But I think a combination of some corrosion and a weak spring is causing the problem. I need to dismount the caliper and clean it up better to see.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Yea. This summer I need to do some clean-up on it. I use the handbrake as well. But I think a combination of some corrosion and a weak spring is causing the problem. I need to dismount the caliper and clean it up better to see.
Usually the cause of sticking parking brake lever in caliper is corrosion on bottom end of shaft inside the rubber shaft seal.

No real long term fix but you can pull out about 1/2 to 3/4" and polish shaft with plumbers cloth ribbon, spray clean and lub shaft and push back up into caliper.

Here is my old picture of all the pieces inside the caliper. It is a real challenge to rebuild one ask me how I know!

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/179140-post2.html

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
whats all that brown looking stuff in the foto? I'm really liking the PB Blaster dry lube I brought back last year. ciao jc

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Interesting...When I replaced the rear calipers on the red 164S with remanufactured ones, one caliper had a much stiffer spring than the other one. Why, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Wow, never seen that much rust in that area like that, is this from salted roads or a wet climate?

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Salted roads, not wet roads, as here in the Puget Sound area of Western Washington, we have water half the time on the roads because it can rain at any time. Very little salt is used in the winter since we have little snow most of the time, almost always close to 32F very soppy wet when it does snow, and the rain which always follows washes it away very rapidly.

My 91 164S with 175k miles on it has no rust in that area at all. Rust is just not a concern for these cars here in this often wet climate. A few years ago I bought a used set of S struts with only 65k miles on them from back east, and I was disappointed at the amount of rust in some areas on the struts. They will require some work to salvage.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes Del, I have had a lot of 164s come thru but never with rust like that in that area, I have had some extremely dirty in that area but not that sort of rust attack, can only put it down to the environment that particular 164 is in.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are used to. I'm used to not seeing rust worth talking about, so when I see that amount of more than surface rust, I shudder.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's basically surface rust. Actually I'm surprised there is such little rust underneath the car considering it lives in NY.

This summer it's going to some wire brushing and rust converter treatment.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Maybe that is just the worst of it.

As I mentioned, I'm not used to seeing rust like that, except for the 75 Alfetta sedan we had in DC. That car rusted like there was no tomorrow no thanks to it's 2 year stay there. Shocked us, whereas the 78 Alfetta sedan we owned here in Seattle had 180k miles on it with no rust when we sold it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts