Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 95 164Q has a button on the steering column that needs to be held down to remove the key (similar to Fords). Problem is the key now sticks and won't come out, even when you hold the button down. Tried WD-40 and the key now goes in easier, but still won't come out unless you get it just right. Any cheap fixes for this?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
There is a button under the switch for emergency use on the bottom side of the column surround. Or better yet you can just sell me the Q and I can fix it myself.;)

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Just leave the key in it! The battery if it is low on voltage will make it so the key can't be removed. Do you think you might have a low voltage situaton?

Lenard, I live closer so I can get up to Seattle sooner to take it off his hands! :) Gee, I wonder what 3 Q's would look like in my driveway? (wife would drive it to see the lawyer for a divorce). :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have gone through the exact same situation with my 1994 LS. The little red button would stop working periodically and would not release the key. I ended up pulling the small cover below the key slot and using the manual release switch to release the key. I tried spraying electrical contact cleaner into the key slot and let it sit overnight. It would work again, but never for a long period of time. It eventually got to where the contact cleaner was not working and I just used the manual release all the time. After about two to three months of this, my ignition switch went out completely (see my earlier post about that fire drill).

Alfa has discontinued the replacement switches for the later series cars and De Fatta Brothers sold me an OEM switch that could be used on my car. The new switch does not have the red button feature (which is just fine with me) and was reasonable in price. The only problem is that I have not taken the time to swap out the door lock cylinders that came with the new switch so basically I have a key for the door locks, and a key for the ignition.

I am told that the electrical component that goes along with the red button is not sold separately from the ignition switch. Maybe if I had tried harder, I could have pressed Jason or someone to search all over Europe for a later model ignition switch with the red button feature, but as I needed to get the car back on the road, I went with the simpler solution.

I hope this helps out and please read my earlier post on what to do (and what not to do) if your ignition switch fails and the car is still running.

Good luck,

Jeff
Dallas, Texas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like we are having a disharmonic convergence here in Tacoma, WA.

As you may have seen from this thread:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=49003

I am having the same problem as fafner1.

Maybe we should combine the threads.

fafner1 - I will send a PM so we can talk locally as to any possible solutions we are working on.

In the meantime, looks like we both need locksets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A couple of Q's for this thread:

Would Permatex Dielectric Tune Up Grease be similar to the electrical contact spray mentioned above?

jeffb99tx - Do you have a contact number for De Fatta Brothers?

Thanks, Norm

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
A couple of Q's for this thread:

Would Permatex Dielectric Tune Up Grease be similar to the electrical contact spray mentioned above?

jeffb99tx - Do you have a contact number for De Fatta Brothers?

Thanks, Norm
www.difatta.com 800-638-7656 ask for ED.

Use a 91-93 lock set if you can't find or don't have the bigger bucks for 24v lock set.

FYI These Listings from Alfa Parts in CA http://www.alfapartscatalog.com
60588836 IGNITION SWITCH 164 94-95 $300.89

60501854 IGNITION SWITCH SHEAR BOLT 164 $3.30

60510890 IGNITION SWITCH WITH LOCKS 164 91-93 $183.38 (Difatta show 3 sets in stock).

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Norm if Ron does not have a set try Jason at Alfissimo (480-858-9156) or Ape (209-833-8330) they have a few 94-95 cars and that way you can get the complete set. I like when one key works all the locks. I have a few sets from the 91-93 cars.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If I had known APE had a later model ignition switch, I may have given that some consideration, but at almost twice the price, I do not know. My mechanic was able to get the older model ignition switch to work and I like no longer having to mess with the red key release switch. I have the lock cylinders for the two doors, the trunk and the glove box and my mechanic says it will cost about $200 to $300 to switch those out so that everything works off of one key set. I will probably have that done, but will defer it for a while as I have spent about $1,200 or more on replacing worn out items including: new tires, new radiator, new ignition switch, a fixed climate control console, and had all four rims renovated so that they look good as new. Hopefully this will do it for a while.

Good luck with the sticking key issue, it may be just something simple. I figured my failing switch was just isolated to just my car. It sounds like other owners of the 94 and 95 models may be having similar issues.

Jeff
Dallas, Texas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts