Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 93 S about 3 weeks ago. A few days later I realized that the console, on the ceiling that has the buttons for the 2 lights and sun roof, was sticky on the windshield side. When I touch it, it's sticky and leaves a black mark; almost like the material is melting. My friend had a 93 L and he had the same thing. This isn't a problem, but I'm just curious if anyone has this.

·
Premium Member
27,373 Posts
Pretty normal on most 164 unless it has been cleaned with lacquer thinner and spray painted with flat black.

Best time to do this is of course when you change a headliner and have headliner and backing board out of the car.

It is mounted with screws from the back side of backer board.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Very common on these cars. The sticky can be removed with solvents. Just work very carefully with the solvents to not get black on the headliner. The sticky comes from the "soft touch" coating Alfa put on the plastic to make it look and feel better than just plastic. The problem is, it eventually turns to a sticky gooey mess (Ferraris have the same problem). You can just remove the goo, or remove the goo and then repaint to give it a nice consistent color back. Like Steve says, it really is best to remove the whole headliner (replace the liner material and foam while at it) and then remove the console, fix it up and then replace the console back into the headliner and then reinstall the whole headliner board back into the car. A bit of work, but then it will all be done and can be completed over a weekend. I have a thread on the whole deal somewhere here.
Charles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts