Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Has anybody come up with a fix or cure for when the interior fittings go sticky , ie the black plastic around the inside door handles,rear parcel shelf lid,
and the glove box door?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I haven't heard of this in a 166. But I've come across the problem with new cars standing in the sun on hot summer days. It the plastics and nylons that evaporate in the heath and the evaporate sticks to windows and other interior things. We found some chemical liquid and lots of elbow grease that removed the strictness. It's long ago and I've forgotten what is was. It was mostly on the window glasses so it might have been too strong to use on other things inside.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the rubber like coating that goes sticky. In Australia during the summer it can reach 70 degrees celsius inside a parked car. The quickest fix is to clean the part with methylated spirits.

Before
IMG_0379.jpg

After
IMG_0380.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a sticky 166. Use of pre-paint prep solution acted to easily cut through with minimal rubbing needed. I carried out the work in the car, rather than removing all these dash pieces. To do the work perfectly, use of a semi-gloss paint would be added. Yet, without adding paint my dash is quite nice now and is not sticky.

To be a bit more clear about the product used. When painting a car, the surface is cleaned first with a solution that removes all contaminates. That is the product.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep had this problem when I first picked my girl up about 2 years ago, took out all the parts and used a steelo (what you use for scrubbing pot and pans) and a heap of hot soapy water, then followed it up with metholated spirits to clean the surface. I then ordered some SEMS vinyl plastic paint online (had to send them a sample of the paint) and sprayed it on. Has actually come up like a brand new car, wouldn't think their had even been a problem.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
When the overhead consul goes sticky on a 164, we just clean it good with Lacquer Thinner and repaint it. I've gone a couple that way and they turn out quite nice.

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
I can not believe that Alfa made the same mistake on the 166 that they made on the 164s with that sticky covering. The 91/92/93 USA 164s had that sticky overhead surround, and the 94/95 LS had the sticky ashtray/ciggy lighter and radio flaps as I remember. Had to refinish all, except the radio flap, took that out and put in a Chrysler radio.

Used alcohol to clean, and then painted in place with matte black.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It wasn't just Alfa, most manufacturers used it at the time.
It's most particularly horrible in Volkswagen Golf IV and onwards.

Wipe it off with suitable paint thinners and either leave or repaint with an epoxy satin black/colour of choice (I've used the rustoleum satin black in my 156)

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
"I've used the rustoleum satin black"

That's what I used.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I beleive the cause is some of the "Interior Cleaning" sprays

Im pretty sure the cause of the stickiness is from some chemicals that are used in plastic cleaners like "Armour All" (Aussie or NZ product) These react with the surface coating and make them go sticky. Cant reverse it, just have to clean it off and paint as described above. My 147 is suffering from it in places

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
Not sure about that, but could be true. The sticky sunroof controls surround in the 91S had never been touched by Armor All yet was super sticky in time. The ciggy lighter cover in the LS had never been Armor Alled, yet became really icky. In the case of those later 'soft' coatings they tried in those cars and others, I think it was just sun and time that did it. Dumb idea.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had this with my facelift interior 156. The coating on the inside door handles etc. became sticky, and this stuff would rub off on everything. I removed the parts, and cleaned of the sticky coating with a degreaser ( sticker remover) from Autoglym, thereafter i applied WD40 to the parts and left it for a while, this brought out the black colour in the plastic. Now a year later, and still looking nice. About an hour of labour.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
G'day,

It is a soft touch paint finish that was quite common in the late nineties. It was used electronic goods as well as cars. I have some Oregon Scientific stuff with the same finish

Don't blame Alfa! The stuff on my Mercedes SLK is worse than that which was on my 916 GTVv6.

On the SLK it is whole dash, console, door handles etc. Two firms have developed a paint to match the OEM Mercedes finish that will not go soft. One brand is Viponds Tautflex from Australia, the other is a German company that I cannot remember the name of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried all sorts of solvents and scrubbers listed above and nothing seemed to work well. It would just smear around like road tar (my interior panels were black).

In desperation I tried paint stripper (yes, hardcore). I was very careful because I was worried about it damaging the actual plastic, so brushed it on a small area and hosed it off after about a minute, once the paint started to bubble. Worked OK without having any effect on the plastics, so tried for increasing periods of time on larger areas.

This was the easiest way I found. I took out all the removable components (glovebox, center console etc) and did them outside (the fumes are strong, and you need eye protection and proper gloves).

I did the parts not easily removed (ie. dashboard lower surround) while inside the car. I put down lots of newspaper and the paint stripper I used was a thick sort of gel that brushed on. It's harder to clean the parts in the car because you probably don't want to hose it down, but a wet cloth is OK.

Fortunately under my black parts is black plastic so I didn't repaint anything, just put it all back together. It all looks ok, if hard black plastic is something that appeals to you! I'm thinking about redoing them in a rubberised coating to restore it more like original, probably Plasticote or something similar. It's just not as classy left like it is.

to summarise: not terribly difficult or expensive but kinda messy. Definitely better than getting that horrid paint residue all over your clothes every time your knee touches the center console!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts