Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replaced the thermostat 4 months ago..
the temperature of the engine indicated that the thermostat was working correctly...it is now winter here (10deg C mornings) and the engine seems to take forever to warm up and the temperature will drop to about 70 deg C on a long downhill run..
i suspect that the thermostat is slightly stuck open.. (since i replaced the thermostat i have added some 'stop leak' metallic powder into the radiator cooling system)...
is it possible that some solid particles are preventing the valves to seat? can this be flushed out or will i need to get a new thermostat?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Take the thermostat out and submerge it in a pot of water with a thermometer, heat the water and see what it is doing at what temperature. I would also flush out the stop leak and change your coolant regardless. If that doesn't shed any light on what is going on, check the water pump, or that there isn't a plug somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...the thermostat issue has been resolved..
...the spring (bottom) retaining plate was misaligned (slightly rotated)preventing the valve to fully seat (radiator hose side)...
the engine took 6-7 minutes to reach operating temperature (ambient temperature 12.8degC)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out, and didn't end up costing you any money.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
just when you think things are going well........
the same symptoms appeared today...the plate was misaligned again...
i tried to modifiy the tab on the spring plate using multigrips to prevent it from catching...we'll see what happens
[edit:problem fixed]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts