Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what was the sticker price of the 92 spider and spider veloce models?

how much was the automatic option?

thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
$3000 difference is a lot, but you got what
15" wheels and tires
Hard top
Beautifull convert top cover
Leather interior
Finally, that wasn't much for all that stuff

Anything else ?

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the hard top was an option not standard.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I think A/C was also standard on the Veloce model.
As an option to the standard model it cost an additional $1,015.00 in 93.

·
Registered
105 Posts
lgbalfa
Did I ever tell you that you have a very nice Alfa, and the right color

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks - yours looks pretty damm nice as well

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
$3000 difference is a lot, but you got what
15" wheels and tires
Hard top
Beautifull convert top cover
Leather interior
Finally, that wasn't much for all that stuff

Anything else ?
I don't know how much more was charged for the automatic transmission, but in the interest of accuracy, I thought it would be good to post the info below.

There are only five differences between the Spider and Spider Veloce:
  1. 14 in. x 6 in 5-star wheels vs. 15 in. x 6 in. phone dials
  2. Optional A/C vs. Standard A/C
  3. Vinyl seats with suede inserts vs. Leather seats with suede inserts
  4. Plain trunk carpet vs. carpet with embossed Alfa logo
  5. Spider badge vs. Spider Veloce badge
Other than that, they are identical, both interior-wise and mechanically.

An original Spider, as well as an original Spider Veloce, will have the following standard equipment:
  • 5 speed manual (automatic was optional on both)
  • Power steering
  • Power antenna
  • Dual power remote mirrors
  • Power windows
  • Driver side airbag in the steering wheel
  • AM/FM cassette radio (CD player was optional on both)
  • Canvas top and boot cover (Hard top was optional)
Best regards,

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much was the automatic option though?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
BTW from my 92 Veloce window sticker: $24864

The 24309 is the port of entry. Then they tack on mechanical prep and delivery to get to the MSRP. Mine sold originally in the Miami area for $22,000 plus TTL for a grand total of around $23,800.

Don't have the for sure price on automatic or hardtop. Now I have a picture of someone's window sticker that had automatic and hardtop. Looks like $2500 for the hardtop and $800 for the automatic. Right column, first two items. Then the next are mechanical prep $160 and emissions test ??? and at the bottom delivery $395.

Picture attached...interpret for yourself.:D:D:D

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i wish i had the original window sticker for the car. can anyone post a pdf file of their 92 window sticker that i can print out for my records?

was there a lot of room for negotiations with the price when this car was new? or was the price pretty much firm.

thanks.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,775 Posts
Considering that Miatas offered about the same performance and cost half as much at the time, I'm betting there was a lot of negotiation room available :D

Incidentally, the Veloce also had the leather wrapped wheel, leather door panels, the extended top boot, and a map light in the glovebox. Non-veloces also had a vinyl top.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That's interesting - 22 MPG city/25 Highway.

At worst, I've gotten 27 MPG, mixed. I could easily get 35 MPG on a long cruise (tailwind).

$2500 for a hardtop, wow.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
i wish i had the original window sticker for the car. can anyone post a pdf file of their 92 window sticker that i can print out for my records?

was there a lot of room for negotiations with the price when this car was new? or was the price pretty much firm.

thanks.
Note that John posted pictures of his '92 Veloce sticker. Ask him if he can make a copy for you.

At least at the dealers that I knew in NY/NJ there was never any bargaining room on the price of a Spider. This even goes back to the '70s and it should be noted that a new Spider was more expensive than a new Corvette. Compared to other marques, Alfa didn't import many cars, and despite what was always considered a hefty price, dealers never had any trouble selling their Spiders. In fact, if you were to go to a dealership, say in December, your chance of finding a Spider in the showroom was pretty much zero. Furthermore, when people saw a new Spider on the street, it was a head turner for sure, and the automatic assumption was that the owner/driver was loaded. All Alfas were expensive when they were sold in the U.S., and not all models sold well, but the Spiders always had a following.

As far as the ability to choose options when buying a new car, you couldn't. You purchased whatever the factory had put together. Alfa would fit different options according to what they thought would be desirable, and that was it. There was an Accessories Catalog from which you could order extra stuff, like a luggage rack, tonneau cover, etc. but that was it. Some dealers would be accommodating, but that was up to them. I have a friend who in 1984 wanted a red Spider with a dark blue interior, and the dealer did remove the brown interior (dash, seats, carpet and door panels) and replaced it with a blue one. (He still has the car.)

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Hi Enrique,

You missed a few items:
1. The top boot. Normal S4 Spiders have the simple one-layer boot similar to earlier square tail Spiders. S4 Veloces have the more complex padded boot that was introduced on Quadrafoglio Spiders. IAP prices for replacements: 91-94 Spider boot $269. 86-90 Quad & Spider Veloce boot $420 (assume 86-90 is a misprint, and this is actually for S4 Veloce models through 1994 CE versions).

The Veloce-style boot is more difficult to install, but gives a more finished look and also a degree of storage security since it covers the area behind the seats.

2. The glove box light. Veloces have a little light on a coiled extension cord. I don't think this comes on "normales"

I don't know how much more was charged for the automatic transmission, but in the interest of accuracy, I thought it would be good to post the info below.

There are only five differences between the Spider and Spider Veloce:
  1. 14 in. x 6 in 5-star wheels vs. 15 in. x 6 in. phone dials
  2. Optional A/C vs. Standard A/C
  3. Vinyl seats with suede inserts vs. Leather seats with suede inserts
  4. Plain trunk carpet vs. carpet with embossed Alfa logo
  5. Spider badge vs. Spider Veloce badge
Other than that, they are identical, both interior-wise and mechanically.

An original Spider, as well as an original Spider Veloce, will have the following standard equipment:
  • 5 speed manual (automatic was optional on both)
  • Power steering
  • Power antenna
  • Dual power remote mirrors
  • Power windows
  • Driver side airbag in the steering wheel
  • AM/FM cassette radio (CD player was optional on both)
  • Canvas top and boot cover (Hard top was optional)
Best regards,

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Here is a scan of mine with edited VIN.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Banned
129 Posts
What about the lighted/mirrored passenger side sun visor? Wasn't that only on the Veloce's?

And, BTW, the original tan suede door panels on my '92 Veloce are a synthetic material, but it does look very organic.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hi Enrique,

You missed a few items:
1. The top boot. Normal S4 Spiders have the simple one-layer boot similar to earlier square tail Spiders. S4 Veloces have the more complex padded boot that was introduced on Quadrafoglio Spiders. IAP prices for replacements: 91-94 Spider boot $269. 86-90 Quad & Spider Veloce boot $420 (assume 86-90 is a misprint, and this is actually for S4 Veloce models through 1994 CE versions).

The Veloce-style boot is more difficult to install, but gives a more finished look and also a degree of storage security since it covers the area behind the seats.

2. The glove box light. Veloces have a little light on a coiled extension cord. I don't think this comes on "normales"
What about the lighted/mirrored passenger side sun visor? Wasn't that only on the Veloce's?

And, BTW, the original tan suede door panels on my '92 Veloce are a synthetic material, but it does look very organic.
George and Art,

Thanks, guys! These are true differences, and I am trying to keep track of them, so we can answer questions such as in this thread... As well as we know our Spiders, it is still a daunting task to list information without missing some of it.

Yes, Art, the lighted passenger mirror was OEM on the s4 Veloces only. (It was also found in the s3 Veloce, and Quad.)

Best regards,

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wow, quite a jump from a 92 to a 94 Ce - my sticker shows it sold for $28350. :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts