Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steering boxes cracking and chassis reinforcement at that point?

Steering boxes cracking and chassis reinforcement at that point on the chassis,
is this a good idea? In a race car (105), now that the fender wells are ready to be primed, would it make sense to weld a triangle or suitable reinforcement, to keep in more rigid? On both sides of the chassis? A specific thickness?

Now, I ignore if the boxes crack due to flexing of the chassis at that point, if not, then please give me your ideas or otherwise.

Welding would be easier for me, if that is the way to proceed and possibly not so practical on a finished car. Would they be installed on both sides of car (idler arm also)?

Thank you,
Regards,

Alberto

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Reinforcement plates

Hi Alberto,

This is what we use in the Netherlands.

There's 3 pieces. 1 large that strenghtens the steeringbox attachment area, and 2 that strenghten the shock mount at the front by creating a " box" at the top.

You can get them here. No direct link possible, but I'm sure you can email Henk and mention " schetsplaten". They're some 90 €'s

Classic Alfa Parts - On-line shop voor onderdelen voor de klassieke Alfa Romeo Choose "online shop, raceparts, carrosserie, and then Schetsplaten"

JC

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not very clear where they are located, only on the side of the steering box, or also on the passenger side? I am clear on the large triangular piece, but the other two?
It would be too expensive to have sent to El Salvador, + freight+taxes.
I think it is simple enough to make them here...
Thank you for your help.
Regards, Alberto

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Hi Alberto,

The set is for both left and right.

The 2 small pieces strenghten the shock mount tower.

1 can be seen left on the photo and the 2nd piece is welded flat on top of that, between the mount and the inner fender, creating the "box".

Hope this makes sense....

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Lesse if this does anything useful to help the 'splaination a bit:
(pic isn't super clear for me, so there is a smidge of guessing going on regarding the edges of things)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Better pic.

Going through my photo's I found this one

Brighter and whiter, you can clearly see the strenghthening of both steeringbox area and shock tower.
The 3rd triangular piece is welded flat on yop of the front piece.

The front piece actually starts in line with the front of the upper arm slot.
Here's a pic of the set.

JC

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going through my photo's I found this one

Brighter and whiter, you can clearly see the strenghthening of both steeringbox area and shock tower.
The 3rd triangular piece is welded flat on yop of the front piece.

The front piece actually starts in line with the front of the upper arm slot.
Here's a pic of the set.

JC
Thank you!
Much better and clearer...
The large triangular pieces with the holes for the st. box and idler, seem to have a fold/bend?
Also, your photo is of the passenger side, thus the idler arm mount, right?
Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Depending on what year the chassis is, the factory did their own internal reinforcements on the later chassis, though not to the extent shown in some of the photographs here.

One piece that strikes me as important on the earlier chassis is opening up the box section and installing tubular sections between the inner and outer wall (where the bolts go through) and weld it up again. Dimensional accuracy seems crucial here as otherwise you put stress load on the steering box. The later cars had these tubular spacers from the factory.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
reinforcement plates

Hi Alberto,

Indeed this is the Idler side, only because it's the only clear picture I found.

And yes, the large section has something of a 45 degree fold, so you can weld it to the shocktowers outer edge.
The small one is shaped to fit under a same angle to the tower, thus creating a box wich is "closed" by the small one.

If someone is interrested I can make some close-ups for posting on monday...

@ allegerita, This is a "later" non stepfront car that has the tubes between the inner fenders, and they were in excellent shape.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Alberto,

Indeed this is the Idler side, only because it's the only clear picture I found.

And yes, the large section has something of a 45 degree fold, so you can weld it to the shocktowers outer edge.
The small one is shaped to fit under a same angle to the tower, thus creating a box wich is "closed" by the small one.

If someone is interrested I can make some close-ups for posting on monday...

@ allegerita, This is a "later" non stepfront car that has the tubes between the inner fenders, and they were in excellent shape.
I would really like to see more...after all, photos are great!

Thank you.
regards, Alberto

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
How thick are those re-inforcements JC?
Got a thread on your car somewhere?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Depending on what year the chassis is, the factory did their own internal reinforcements on the later chassis, though not to the extent shown in some of the photographs here.

One piece that strikes me as important on the earlier chassis is opening up the box section and installing tubular sections between the inner and outer wall (where the bolts go through) and weld it up again. Dimensional accuracy seems crucial here as otherwise you put stress load on the steering box. The later cars had these tubular spacers from the factory.
Wow, are you sure about that?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This is interesting, did you mean installing tubular sections instead of original aluminium wedges? It could make sense as the original ones are just pressed on their place. Jorma

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
plate thickness

How thick are those re-inforcements JC?
Got a thread on your car somewhere?
I guess they're either 2 or 3 mm thick, will check tomorrow when I'll do the close ups.

And, no haven't done a project page or someting similar. I've been planning to do it for a year or so, and then all of the sudden the car was close to completion ;-). So it'd be a bit silly to start one now and then be done in a month or so...

If interrested I can do a topic at the Photo's section.....

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
More pics reinforcements

Gents,

Here's the pics as promised.

Hre you can see the front of the main piece attached to the shock tower's outer edge.

Close up of the front piece, welded between the inner fender and the shock tower again.

The top piece creating the box. Note: This is welded to the inner fender and shock tower top from below, before welding the outer section to it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts