Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been working on a procedure to remove/restore steppers (as unit) without dash removal. It will include tips for indexing the motors. Anyway guys, I need your help: I stupidly lost the white centering plastic piece that pops off the shaft of the air distribution transmission. Please give me a shout if you have the part—that white cap in left photo. Many thanks.

Here's the link to the complete procedure:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/364089-steppers-r-r.html

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Ah, the Quest. In search of the Holy Grail of Alfa Romeo 164 repair.

I have one, but it's on a serviceable spare assembly I have. If I get it back, you can use it for testing. In reality it doesn't do anything that I can see. The indexing is done by the bracket stops. The insertion distance of the transmission axle, maybe, but I doubt missing that white cover would make any material difference. Testing would tell.

However, in order to disengage the stepper transmission from the bracket, the white cover must be removed. The stepper has to come out at an angle and the white cover won't permit that. And in order to pop the white cover off, the bracket has to be dismounted. And in order to get the bracket dismounted, the screw close to the firewall has to come out.

In order for the transmission to come out in-situ, both the lug on the front and the lever snap on the back would have to be cut to allow the transmission to slide straight out. Or the two parts of the bracket that hold the transmission bent to allow it to come straight out. And they're pretty stout metal that would require considerable force to bend to release the stepper transmission.

Then we get down to the problem of the broken drum pivot that might have to be repaired.

·
Premium Member
15,852 Posts
"the screw close to the firewall has to come out. "

That particular screw is the main bugaboo in the rebuild procedure. If Alfa had made that just a "fore and aft" plugin stud (into the firewall), then the procedure would be fairly simple. The entire assy could have been pulled back without too much trouble. I don't remember having trouble with that aspect once the screw was removed.

I slotted the bracket hole sideways to that the bracket front could be slid sideways (to the left I think) and thus disconnected from the partially installed screw. I always recommend that a modification of this sort be made.

Once that assy is removed, the drum reinforcement ring can easily be installed by reaching in, provided additional work isn't required to repair a broken part.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, I'll take the loaner. Do you still have my address?

Your points are well taken. I have a little "stepper study studio" at my disposal and hope to shed some new light on this subject.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I don't think that the slotted idea for the front screw would work either. In order for the drum stepper shaft to disengage from the drum it has to pull straight out a fair amount. Now what there could be is a tab that would turn down to capture the bracket. There's not that much force on the stepper bracket to need the full security of a screw.

·
Premium Member
15,852 Posts
"I don't think that the slotted idea for the front screw would work either"

It works I know because that's the way I reinstalled it, and tried it in and out before I buttoned things up. I don't remember that much, too many years ago, but it went in and out ok, and everything works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts