Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If the distribution drum is flopping around, it's almost certain that the drum pivot point-to-stepper motor connection is broken. I had this same problem. Hopefully you can find the broken-off piece and repair it easily. Read this entire thread to learn from my experience:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/194668-broken-distribution-drum.html
Wow, thanks for the link. That is a very fiddly job and I have to say it is a horrible design but the factory. No way I would take off the dashboard.

So I looked around and I found this.

An old discarded steering wheel cover. Stripped off its casing and it revealed a rubber circle which seem like an old bicycle tyre or something. So I took like a 6" piece of it, stuffed it inside the air vent so that it pushed down the further end of the rotating drum. Curvy surface made it sit tight on the air vent hole too.
Tested air direction and air blew through the front vents.
I then disconnected the power socket to the stepper motor that rotates the drum. Reconnected all the dashboard pieces.
Now cold air comes to my face and that is enough for me.
Not a worthy post to this forum but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Will post an update a few months later on how it is holding up.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Yes. If the factory engineers had only put a 5 cent copper ring on it, there would have been no problems.

What you have done will work. I don't know what the procedure is for fixing the drum connection on a RHD car. I thought it was easier than LHD. Maybe some else with RHD experience can chime in.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It is easier on the RHD car (consult thread by DanW which the poster is aware of). I think "cringe" fixes are a false choice. Ditto for spreading sealant on the inside of the spark plug well to "stop" oil leak.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts