Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have been trolling the site for a little while and decided to finally join. Anyways, like most 164s, my stepper motors are not functioning properly either. I have been reading up, and the best(and most likely the only) fix is to replace the plastic gears with metal ones from AlfaPro. The problem is though, AlfaPro is no longer a website. Is there anywhere else I can get these metal gears from? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I don't think so, other than putting a wanted post in the Parts section of the forum. Maybe someone has some used or bought some and never used them. I bought some last year and rebuilt a used set of steppers for when mine give up, but they have never given me any trouble threw to 195,500 miles. I thought that I should be prepared though. :rolleyes: Glad I got them when I did, but I'm still hoping I never need them. The other choice is to use a new set of regular steppers with plastic gears. They should actually last a good long while, if all is functioning with the flaps with no binding or other problems that would cause a strain on the gears.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Hi all
I have been trolling the site for a little while and decided to finally join. Anyways, like most 164s, my stepper motors are not functioning properly either. I have been reading up, and the best(and most likely the only) fix is to replace the plastic gears with metal ones from AlfaPro. The problem is though, AlfaPro is no longer a website. Is there anywhere else I can get these metal gears from? Thanks.
No more metal gears. You need to purchase the whole stepper unit which are upgraded from older and will last a long time. My suggestion is to keep it off AUTO and manual do what you want.

Jason

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Does anyone have CAD drawings of the metal gears? .stl format would be best but I can convert. I have some friends who could do some small qtys in brass but they wouldn't be able to tell me cost without some data to look at.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I can second the opinion that the replacement steppers last a long time. Mine were done in 1998 at around 90,000 km and are still going strong.

There is no need to use the manual setting on the ACC. The steppers usually move through pretty much their full range when re-starting from cold on AUTO. Making manual adjustments isn't going to reduce the amount of wear. You will still need to adjust the settings in the same way. ACC is a really good feature to have and reduces distraction while driving.

Having looked at the broken ones I don't think they broke from over use. The gears quite probably rotate more than 360 degrees during full range operation. I am pretty sure the material the gears were made from originally just wasn't tough enough. Nylon should outlast brass if it is strong enough nylon as it will self lubricate.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mine seem to be giving up slowly. Most of the time they work fine, once in a week they click and click forever. Finding 164 parts here is a tough job, I've only found 3 164s around, one being mine, the other is a 4c turbo, the other a v6 turbo LS.

A guy that used to work with me wrecked one "rallying it in the bush".:mad:

·
Registered
565 Posts
You need to purchase the whole stepper unit which are upgraded from older and will last a long time.
I guess I never realized that there was an upgrade. What was actually changed, the material of the gears and/or the internal operation of the motor in some way?

Any idea on the approximate date of the release of the new ones? Just wondering if I've got the "new and improved" ones installed.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
I guess I never realized that there was an upgrade. What was actually changed, the material of the gears and/or the internal operation of the motor in some way?

Any idea on the approximate date of the release of the new ones? Just wondering if I've got the "new and improved" ones installed.
5/95 it was updated. So basically most 95's have the new ones. It was updated 3 times since 1990.

The new ones should last a long long time.

Metal ones are really loud. If I were to do it over again I would use the nylon updated ones and make sure all is moving freely.

Jason

·
Registered
565 Posts
5/95 it was updated. So basically most 95's have the new ones. It was updated 3 times since 1990.
Okay, good. I think I only bought my car in mid-'95 and replaced the steppers a couple years later, so hopefully I got the updated ones. Whatever's in there is in there, so can't worry about it now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
@ Jason; we stripped quite a few post 1995's over the years; we found a lot of worn/teethless steppergears on those as well.More on cars with ACC than with the manual climatecontrol system.

Arjen

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
@ Jason; we stripped quite a few post 1995's over the years; we found a lot of worn/teethless steppergears on those as well.More on cars with ACC than with the manual climatecontrol system.

Arjen
I best it is due to something binding, not necessarily the gears per say. I am sure a heater door becoming hard to open and close is typically the cause for the gears to strip. Also the grease I think they use cakes over time and can also cause binding.

Just my observation. They are not bullet proof but should all the rest be in tip top condition the steppers should be good for a long time. My suggestion is to check grease in new ones before installing and if already dried up due to time on the shelf, clean out and replace.

Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts