Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a side by side comparison picture between the 2 different style front ends?

I've seen a few cars 'advertised' as stepnose, and I didn't think they were... but I could have been wrong??!

What's the reasoning the Alfa made the different type front end?

Thanks!
Doug

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hope you can make out the photo OK. The front car is a "smooth nose" 2000 GTV, the one behind is a step-nose GT 1300 Junior. That is what each looks like - there is no mistaking the "step" in the step nose.

As for why have it first, and why change it? Can't help you there, sorry.

P.S. Step-nose rules!!:D

Attachments

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so.... is a stepnose ONLY going to have 2 headlights?

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
they each only have two "headlights" :D sorry couldn't resist
maybe someone at Bertone thought it would clean up the lines of the car, not that it needed it. They both are classic designs in their own right imho

·
Super Moderator
11,545 Posts
so.... is a stepnose ONLY going to have 2 headlights?
Right, all stepnose cars have just two headlights. But some smoothnose models also have just two lights.

Alfa, like all other manufacturers, got caught up in the 60's styling craze that if two headlights are good, then four must be better. The posterchild for this malady is the Lamborghini 400GT pictured below. At least the 4 light Alfa models (e.g., the GTV's) used smaller lights for the second pair - I believe these were driving lights rather than just highbeams - which I think makes them more visually interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
I think the simple answer is that the 'stepnose' is the original design, followed by the 'smoothnose' in 1969. Today, we'd probably call that a 'freshening' of the original design; a way to bring it up to date and keep older sheetmetal competitive in the market. Alfa of course was a small company and didn't have the money to do regular model changes. They got great value with the simple changes they made to the front end of the 105/115 cars that I think transformed the look of the front of the car. Personally I prefer the stepnose design, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Also, the rear arches changed post GT Veloce models. The early cars had lower rear wheel arches - which you can tell by the distance from the top of the wheel arch lip to the start of the gas flap as well as different depths (width) in the arches

·
Registered
527 Posts
I own both. The step-nose is much much prettier to my eye. In my case, my '69 is a much better driver however (but this is specific for my cars - you can make a step-nose as exciting to drive).

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
I believe the 2 light smooth nose's are Jrs.

There are lot more changes between the step nose and smooth nose besides the front end treatment. As noted, the wheel arches were increased. A lot of the front end structure is different (radiator frame and front cross member in particular). The rake of the rear seat is steeper in the earlier coupes. The wire harness is vastly different with the fuse buss being brought in under the dash in '69. Obviously the interior and dash are quite different. Powertrain, brakes were changed along the way.

I am sure there are many other items as well. I think as others said, there was an evolution mostly in the direction of improvements. Whereas many prefer the look of the step nose today (myself included) by '69 I suspect it looked dated.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Also, the rear arches changed post GT Veloce models. The early cars had lower rear wheel arches - which you can tell by the distance from the top of the wheel arch lip to the start of the gas flap as well as different depths (width) in the arches
the wheel arch change actually occured in mid to late 1967. Many Stepnose cars came with the higher arch, as you describe. The higher arch change came hand-in-hand with the 4-bolt front end revision. Not many people know, or care, but people looking for stepnose cars to make into track or fast road cars are hot for those late '67 GTVs because of the updated suspension and ability to easily fit wider tires in the rear. While most of these late '67+ cars turned out to be GT Juniors, there were a small amount that were GT Veloces, see Bryan's old car.

I actually prefer the look of the earlier arches. They resemble the original GTA cars and I like how they tuck the tire a little more than the later cars...but they are a pain in the *** to fit any wheel that is 7" wide.

Funny thing about "stepnose" vs "smoothnose", when i first got into Alfas, i knew i wanted a GTV and bought a '74. Never knew there was a difference in body design, but i do remember thinking "why do some GTVs look so much better than mine?" I quickly caught on and subsequently sold my '74 and bought a '65....then a '67 with high arches and 4-bolt suspension.

If I were to buy another "smoothnose" it would be a '69 with small taillights, but the "stepnose" alfa is one of my favorite car designs of all time. Very subtle and understated, but looks amazing from every angle.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Anyone have a side by side comparison picture between the 2 different style front ends? Thanks!
Doug
Yet another side by side for you. Edited to add second photo. Note that both cars carried the all important SNO stickers. Mine still does. Ted's has gone to a new home.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
high arch and low arch. Reference the bottom line of the fuel flap, you will then see the difference. Both cars are stepnose

Attachments

1 - 20 of 77 Posts