Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me why some cars have all clear parking lamps and others half amber half clear, is it based upon markets?

Thanks
Joe

Registered
Is there a criteria for which cars got which lenses? Example: USA vs ROW or some other defining reason? Said differently, which is correct for the USA?
While researching these cars for my own restoration project it appeared to me that USA cars got the amber/clear combination lenses and European and other markets the clear lenses. I'm afraid I can't be quoted on this though. Others who know more may chime in. My South African car had clear lenses originally but I chose the amber/clear combination only because I like the way it looks.

I just found this on wikipedia (for whatever it's worth), so it may depend on the model year of your car:
The auto industry in the USA voluntarily adopted amber front-turn signals for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year,[58][59] though the advent of amber signals was accompanied by legal stumbles in some states[60] and front turn signals were still legally permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible front turn signal colour.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Germany required amber for the directional signals - so amber/clear combo there.
Thank you my car is from the Italian market and wonder if their was anything different there? It also has all red rears however they may have been changed when imported.

Joe

Registered
Italy definitely had all white for front signal & parking - repeater/side signals if fitted in amber/orange. Would have expected amber/red in the rear ... I think all red in the rear was US only

The auto industry in the USA voluntarily adopted amber front-turn signals for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year,[58][59] though the advent of amber signals was accompanied by legal stumbles in some states[60] and front turn signals were still legally permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible front turn signal colour.
The wikipedia entry is no doubt correct. It indicates that between 1963 and 1968 US-delivery cars may have come with either clear or amber lenses. As far as I know, Alfa delivered just all-clear lenses through the stepnose era. Yes, other countries got amber/clear.

I don't know when amber front lenses first appeared in the States; probably in 1968.

Registered
Australia got the clear/amber setup too.

As mentioned Italy had the clear setup. Have a look at the GTV 2000 brochure and they have clear.

1750 fronts were always clear & amber with a larger clear section for the markets that had the 'clears' and more amber for the others.

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts