Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Well, the disassembly is done, the body has been media blasted (garnet/low pressure), and epoxy primed. The disassembly thread is "Stephen's Restoration - Initial Pics/Disassembly." To refresh everyone's memory, here are some photos...
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG First of all, there obviously has been a hiatus since the last thread. That was because I decided to help out an old friend who had three Jaguar E-Types he could no longer drive due to a fractured pelvis. They had been sitting for several years, he was offered a low-ball offer on all three, so I offered to get them running and sell them for him. To date, I've done two of the three E-Types and will shortly get the last one done and dusted.

Meanwhile, as time has permitted, I have been working on sub-components (driveline, rear end, prop shafts, etc.), getting these items ready for reassembly. This was done while waiting on parts for the E-Types.

As a reminder, I am attempting to restore this early 1750 GTV to concours condition. So, much of this time has been spent trying to find "factory original" finishes on components, including fasteners. I'll post my attempts later in this thread.

Stephen.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the rear trunnion (1) as taken from the car, (2) pass one of media blasting, and (3) primed/painted. I know I'll need to check the spacers/shims.

I had planned to just have all this powdercoated, including suspension and propshafts, etc., but I thought that this would lend itself to the criticism of "over-restoring," since powdercoating was not available in 1969. Any thoughts? At this stage, I can always go back.

Stephen.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The A-Arms were a mess. The spherical bearings have been replaced. I would never have been able to do this without restorers posting "how-tos" on the board....thank you.... The last photo is with the install completed and cleaned up.

Stephen.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In researching fasteners, primarily for the suspension, I found out that most were LOBO bolts. Researching these in turn, they apparently were commonly used by Maserati, Ferrari, Fiat, and Alfa. Replacements were rather pricey, so I decided to set up a plating system for zinc, black oxide, and cadmium plating (all three types).

The photos show the basic setup along with a few initial results. Again, a lot of time was spent trying to pin down the proper finishes. These are very much initial results. I tested several prep methods, and the best results by far is media blasting (vibratory tumblers and/or parts washing just don't work as well). Over 90% of the result is the preparation. It will hopefully get better as I gain experience with these plating processes. I'm still not happy with the black oxide, but there is a wide range of immersion times that I need to test.

Stephen.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While waiting on the plating chemicals, I turned to the body. The right side showed two patches that were riveted to decent steel. I drilled out the rivets to see what was underneath. Yuk...

The first before/after is the RF intersection of the A-Pillar. There was wadding inserted underneath the riveted panel. The second pair is the base of the B-Pillar. Much work remains.....

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I referenced earlier my work on my friend's Jaguar E-Types. Although it is off-topic, I just thought someone might want to see what we did. Even if you are not Jaguar fans, these are gorgeous cars, even if they are not really sports cars, but GTs...

The first photo is as I found the 1969 OTS in my friend's hangar, and the second is the 'after' photo, ready for sale. The second pair is the V12 2+2 (black), before/after. I hated these S-3 cars for the longest time, but maybe things get prettier with age (and senility).

Getting these running and ready for sale took a lot of work.

Stephen.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
Brings back memories of my shell after blasting ...

Pete

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I like your plating station a lot (envious actually). One day I hope to upsize my working area so as have as much working space as that. I also have had similair reaction to the black chromate finish ...it seems more of dichromate with hints of green and yellows in it. I guess I was hoping for uniform color finish.....but at least the parts are zinc'd and protected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts