Alfa Romeo Forums banner

stem seal tool

8K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  alfavulcan 
Compressed air is common to change valve seals on a lot of motors. You're right about being careful about leaks and dropping. Just leave the air pressure on. Also, if there's that much air escaping, there's more than just the seals gone bad.

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I discovered an easy way to do the intake valve adjustment w/o removing the cam. The BMW M88/3 '84 - '86 in like in mine has the same lifter shape. IIRC it's 30mm diameter and about 2mm deeper. These lifters have the shims on top of the bucket and are almost the full diameter of the lifter. The shims are retained by a vertical outer perimeter lip. A little grinding on the head adjacent the lifter and the BMW tool compresses the spring and pliers or compressed air blows out the shims. They're size ID'd on the bottom for differences. The VW same era motor has the same shim size and they're cheap and readily available. I must have 125 of them for my engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.