Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I just had my mechanic do an oil change on my stelvio Ti Sport and when he was finished he wanted to check the oil level... Since there is no oil stick you have to go into your car app on the infotainment screen and go to oil level indicator... It showed 3/4 full but after following the simple instructions... The level still remained at 3/4 level even thou we have almost 6 quartz of oil in the vehicle... What are we doing wrong???

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
I had mine changed and they used all 6 quarts.

·
Premium Member
14,035 Posts
My new to me 2011 Jag also has no dipstick and supposedly no drain plug so I took it to the Jag dealer for it's annual. They charged me $200 for the oil change which included $98 for 7 quarts of 0W20 Castrol edge. I am probably going to buy a vacuum pump and do it myself next time. They also told me that my rear brake pads should be replaced and quoted $1050. I did them myself for less than $100 which included buying a caliper compression tool. I never planned to become a Jag mechanic..........

·
Supporting Vendor
4,390 Posts
Hi... I just had my mechanic do an oil change on my stelvio Ti Sport and when he was finished he wanted to check the oil level... Since there is no oil stick you have to go into your car app on the infotainment screen and go to oil level indicator... It showed 3/4 full but after following the simple instructions... The level still remained at 3/4 level even thou we have almost 6 quartz of oil in the vehicle... What are we doing wrong???
I believe you need to let the car idle for 5 minutes on a level surface to get the oil level display to update. This is probably why it didn't change after you added oil.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,020 Posts
I believe you need to let the car idle for 5 minutes on a level surface to get the oil level display to update. This is probably why it didn't change after you added oil.
Same thing on my Audi. The Audi community has found a dipstick that works on the 2.0 litre cars for those who are old fashioned.

My new to me 2011 Jag also has no dipstick and supposedly no drain plug so I took it to the Jag dealer for it's annual. They charged me $200 for the oil change which included $98 for 7 quarts of 0W20 Castrol edge. I am probably going to buy a vacuum pump and do it myself next time. They also told me that my rear brake pads should be replaced and quoted $1050. I did them myself for less than $100 which included buying a caliper compression tool. I never planned to become a Jag mechanic..........
I bought one for changing the oil in my Audi. I'm really tired of the mess of having to drain oil. I bought a Jabsco at the recommendation of @Jim G.

Yes, it's expensive, but I really didn't care. It's the best money I have spent. A lot of people think that the siphon system leaves a lot of oil in the sump. I raise the back of the car so that the oil sits in the front of the sump, directly below the "dip stick" where the oil is siphoned. After the pump runs and drains most of the oil. I let the car sit for a while to allow more oil to accumulate in the front of the sump. I siphon more, then repeat a couple more times. The oil filter is right on top and I rarely have to even wash my hands after an oil change.

·
Premium Member
14,035 Posts
I bought a Jabsco at the recommendation of @Jim G.
Thanks, I will consider that. Some guys on the Jag site use a hand operated mitey-vac that sells for about $100.

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
How can you suck the oil out if there is no dipstick hole?

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
The Giulias have a oil drain plug, Jags don't?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had the change oil in the stelvio on the instrument panel. I called the dealer and scheduled an oil change. 6 quarts of oil and an 8 dollar filter alomg with 80 dollars labor for a total of 172 dollars. I told them I didnt want rotated tires as the vehicle only has 10miles in 20 months and its light use.

The bill dor just the oil change is 172 dollars for 6 quarts of oil...and an 8 dollar filter.

I didnt argue with the service advisor. WHen I got home I called alfa romeo and told them flat out. Love the cuv...always tell people how great it is but if they dont do something i wouldnt buy another alfa if they stood on their head.

The lease is up in about 14 months and for me its the principal of the thing.

My corvette takes 7 quarts of mobil one 0w30 and it cost me $80 at the dealer.

The alfa greed just cost them any further alfa purchases and its ok by me if they dont want to rectify my concern,

Talk about ruining the customer experience.

They might get me one more oil change ...but never will I ever buy another alfa after this experience.

Great car...creepy little bastards on principle.

You guys may accept this and think Im crazy...but what a rip off...and I tipped the valet 5 and the service writer 10...

Because i love the car...but 172 dollar oil change?

I have a 2020 c8 corvette z51 on order, my fourth...I been buying cadillacs for my wife for years. This time I thought lets buy or rather lease the stelvio ti sport.

After being robbed even for a few dollars has soured my alfa experience forever...

ANd i loved the little cuv until today.

Just venting. (They wanted to rotate my tires...i said no...the car will have 18k miles when I turn it in why bother rotating tires...they said ok and charged me for it anyway...

Wow..

Principles matter in this world.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thanks, I will consider that. Some guys on the Jag site use a hand operated mitey-vac that sells for about $100.
The Mitey Vac works really well as I can change the oil in my V-8 Jag in less than 20 minutes. You have to be careful as the pressure when the last of the dirty oil is vacuumed out of the Mitey Vac into a travel container can make the hose flop around and spray dirty oil everyplace, but otherwise it is a very clean and easy process.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Lets see the oil and filter will run you $102 from Centerline so that's $70 for labor. The shop labor rate is probably $100/hr or more and the book time on an oil change is probably around an hour. As far as your $80 Corvette oil change for $80 I've got to call that one out. A quart of 0w30 Mobil from Amazon is $12 a quart so if your Chevy dealer is charging you $80 for $84 worth of oil and free labor he won't be in business very long. I took my own oil (from Centerline) to my dealer when I had my oil changed and the labor was $70 and they always throw in the multi point inspection and lube and top off all fluids to I guess make you feel better about the $70 labor charge. I'll be the last one to defend a dealer but threatening to never buy another Alfa because a dealer charged you $70 labor for an oil change seems a little extreme especially when comparing it to a fantasy $80 oil change at a Chevy dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts