Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's no Stelvio forum section in the Alfa BB, so I thought it would be best to put this news here since both Stelvio and Giulia are closely related.

Original article here: Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio Smashes Nurburgring Record For SUVs

Video of the lap here:

The new Nurburgring record (7min 51.7secs) is 8 secs faster than the Porsche Cayenne Turbo and is the same time as the BMW m4.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Sounds like he could use a better set of tires :surprise:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
That’s not an SUV. That’s a high roofed hatchback car.

·
Registered
773 Posts
what really is SUV? there is no strick rules for it, most current SUVs are similar to this. But I agree its kinda more hatchback (like are other suvs aswell).

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
I'm still not sure about the usefulness of an SUV as compared to the regular sedan, as the sedan probably cost less (lower bling markup), has better handling, probably weighs less, has more room overall, is easier to get into and out of, probably gets better gas mileage, all else being equal.

To me, the station wagon version, as with that version of the 159 based on the sedan, is the most desirable setup. We really liked the 159 wagons we saw overseas, and we also like the Audi wagons we see here in the States.

Just my rant for the day. Off to do a nice drive in the 91S around Puget Sound, with ferry ride back to Seattle, to visit a couple of fav restaurants to eat yummy food and see our friends who own the restaurants.

We will see no Stelvios, and most likely no Giulias either, alas. Just not that many here yet, esp where we are going, although we were shocked that on our drive through eastern Oregon, we came across a new Giulia just south of Athena, Oregon where Veronica lives, out in the wheat field country. Actually shocked, lol.

·
Registered
773 Posts
they should be really stupid to lie the time. I think the video isnt actual proof of the lap time, just demonstration. That Bridge to Gantry website is also very suspicous when you remember what he wrote about Giulia Q

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
I'm still not sure about the usefulness of an SUV as compared to the regular sedan, as the sedan probably cost less (lower bling markup), has better handling, probably weighs less, has more room overall, is easier to get into and out of, probably gets better gas mileage, all else being equal.
I completely agree with you and yep the station wagon is the ultimate practical car, but a SUV is easier to get in and out of not the other way around. As we get older not all of us find it easy to get into a low car and prefer to just step into a taller vehicle. And not all SUV's require a step ladder climb to get into.

While my wife now appreciates the 156v6, only the 2nd Alfa Romeo she has ever been in (yes the 1750GTV has never been able to take her for a spin as I pulled that apart before we met), and finds it very comfortable and quiet I have no doubt she would prefer the Stelvio as she likes to sit up a little higher. Makes her feel safer around trucks and helps with the site seeing.

BTW the other Alfa I took her for a drive in was a 75v6 ... hates the looks and interior of them so much they are on the banned list :(
Pete

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Like most people here, I don't think much of the Alfa SUV, but the criticism of the lap time video by that website is pretty lame. They switched angles a couple of times and the timer is totally separate from the video, anyway. So the cut from dash cam to side view was not done perfectly, so what.

Looking through the website showed me that it is a pretty opinionated website, which I am not a fan of. I like to read the opinions of people on forums like this, but when it comes to reading more in depth about cars, I want reporting, not opinions.

One example was they called the F1 Honda Motor in the McLaren, poop on a stick. Now I'm not a fan of McLaren but I am an F1 fan, and I do know about the deep struggles they are having with their project. To just call it poop on a stick, especially when not all readers may know all the details of their troubles, is just bad reporting. The F1 websites don't even make statements like that.

My opinion of that website is it's just poop on my screen.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
If recent experience is a guide, the Stelvio will easily outsell the other Alfa flavors. Will I purchase one? No, but if it helps to fund the rest of the , hopefully, expanding Alfa lineup...I hope they sell even more than their normally overly optimistic forecasts.

Like Del, I'd dig a hot rod wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"As we get older not all of us find it easy to get into a low car and prefer to just step into a taller vehicle. And not all SUV's require a step ladder climb to get into"

Hah, maybe I just have short legs, as I find almost all SUV's require at least grabbing onto the steering wheel to pull on to help me get up into the seat, whereas all the Alfa sedans I've owned are just the right height. As Steve says, easy peasy.

The worst one was the big Volkswagen Toureg (IIRC) SUV a friend of mine owned. That was a real pain getting into and out of.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The most interesting aspect of the SUV/crossover market is how popular car-like trucks have become.

The SUV/crossover presents an effective illusion to the marketplace of a more practical, roomy and yet still sporty vehicle than a boring old sedan.

In reality, the SUV/crossover enjoys none of these supposed advantages.

The result is ever more car like SUV/crossover vehicles built on sedan platforms using sedan suspension and drivetrains with sedan interiors.

The only difference between these vehicles and their sedan equivalents is weight, they are all bigger and heavier to perform an almost identical function.

They cost more for less, use more fuel and, biggest joke if all, generally carry less stuff thsn the equivalent sedan.

It's a mystery but then most people really don't like to drive.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
You are 100% right Michael; and Del I've not experienced this steering wheel grab thing, or I have and forgotten.

We owned a Nissan Dualis, Quashi, and I'm not sure what that is called? A soft SUV? ... anyway no climbing required, just step in and I have to admit it was a great family car. Rolly polly around corners, yes but super comfortable cruiser. The 156v6 though is very easy to get in and out of but I wonder how easy it will be when I'm 70 to get up to a standing position?

We also have a Honda Odyssey and personally a far far and I mean faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better car than a SUV. It really is just a longer car so you can have 7 seats. Yes it is taller than the Alfa so fuel consumption suffers on trips but if you want to carry lots of people and don't have small penis/I need to be considered a real man concerns get a people mover.
Pete

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Honda builds several versions of their Accord sedan. The Odyssey is the van version. The Pilot is the SUV version and they call their Ridgeline a truck, but it isn't which you would discover if you tried to use it as one.

The Accord is still their best version of these variants.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the post. Alfa said the Stelvio QV would be the best handing SUV on the planet and they produced. And this is a very bfd because the performance matches a coupe, a BMW coupe, more specifically a BMW M4 coupe. Now you can have more space and great handling and driving capabilities (and yes fellas the SUV does offer more space, I have a new Giulia TI and looked at the Stelvio and as always the SUVs offer more space). You old farts should stick to 1970 because these new Alfa's aren't made for you. They want you for sure but if you can't get with the program that actually sells cars then stay out of the way little dogs 'cause big dogs are moving in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts