Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I want to replace my S4 airbag steering wheel with a sleeker look. I like a black wheel with black or chrome or matte spokes. A classic look but not wood. Any lower priced models other than Nardi or Momo?

Thanks,
Rande

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
In EU, we got this steering wheel on the S4 from factory.
came in leather or vinyl.
This is the leather factory S4 wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all your help, I ended up getting the proper adapter hub from Crowders and than ordering a "Nardi" from British Columbia via China for $60. All came together well for a total of $165
Rande

·
Registered
298 Posts
I bought a Chinese Nardi replica from eBay last year. Looks the part but does not feel the part. So far so good though, and plenty good enough for a GTV6.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only thing I would say is that in the event of a front end collision the steering wheel sits between you and being impaled on the steering column. I would be wary of replicas and consider the quality or otherwise of the materials that went in to them.

·
Super Moderator
10,351 Posts
The only thing I would say is that in the event of a front end collision the steering wheel sits between you and being impaled on the steering column. I would be wary of replicas and consider the quality or otherwise of the materials that went in to them.
I don't mean to sound gruesome, but I doubt it really matters. You risk tearing your aorta when you get into a serious enough accident that your chest hits something hard. Your aorta doesn't know whether it has been impacted by the rim of a premium rigid wheel, or by the horn hub after a cheapie wheel has buckled.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
'69 dated Nardi wheel

Lightweight_911,

That Nardi wheel looks great in your Spider. What modifications were required?

Give us some pics of your 1750 Spider Veloce!

Ray

·
Registered
188 Posts
Lightweight_911,

That Nardi wheel looks great in your Spider. What modifications were required?

Give us some pics of your 1750 Spider Veloce!

Ray
Thanks for the compliments Ray.

I have a bit of a 'fetish' when it comes to steering wheels & have probably bought/sold ~ 5-600 wheels over the past 20 yrs or so !!

It's often one of the first things I change when I buy a 'classic' car - but it always has to be period-correct (or at least period-looking).

I typically have ~ half a dozen 'spare' steering wheels hanging in my garage just waiting for the right car to come along & it just so happened that I already had a perfect '69-dated Nardi when I bought my Alfa Spider.

It was a Factory-supplied Nardi (ie it had a riveted-on splined hub) from an unidentifed car - possibly a Fiat-derived Osca 1600S Cabriolet - so the first job was to drill out the rivets/remove the splined hub.

In the meantime I acquired a scrap wheel from a 105 Series Giulia Super & removed the hub which I then attached to the Nardi using csk stainless steel machine screws & nuts - hidden by the original Nardi trim ring.

Finally I bridged the gap between the back of the wheel & the & the top of the column housing with a cut-down black plastic 'spacer' from the rear of a Porsche 914 s/wheel !!

To finish off the installation I used a self-adhesive thin alloy Alfa emblem (for the centre cap of an alloy wheel) stuck over the original Nardi horn push ... :wink2:

As for pictures of my Spider, I'm afraid I don't tend to take many photos of my own cars, but here's one I posted previously in the S1 Spider photos thread:

·
Registered
106 Posts
As an afterthought..the real NARDI comes with a NARDI horn button... with the initials EN in bold. If you are going to do it, do the REAL thing. Your baby deserves the best!!!!:surprise:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts