Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a leather style original steering wheel for my GTV6. I have the original wooden style wheel on but it is peeling and I would like to switch it out. I was wondering If I could remove the horn cap and unscrew the current steering wheel and place the other one right on top of my hub?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
If you have the original wheel, then it has an integrated hub. You're going to have to remove the center cap/horn button, then with a steering wheel puller remove the whole thing. Get a new hub that is compatible with your new wheel, install it, then mount the wheel to the hub.

I warn you, there's a very good chance your original wheel will be stuck hard and fast on the tapered splines of the steering shaft. Lots of threads here that describe various methods for removing it. Be careful not to overtighten the wheel puller on the shaft threads, otherwise you'll be replacing the shaft, or at best using a die to recut them. Also be careful not to knock yourself unconscious when the wheel finally does release. They have a tendency to fly, with a good deal of force, right at your noggin.

It's a blast!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only difference between the wheels is that one is "wood" and the other is leather. Are the screws below the cap not holding the wheel to the hub?

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Changed many and the puller is the key. I have a Home made one. They pop right out. I leave it over night with the puller tight, a little squirt of PB-Blaster, come out in the morning with the cup of coffee your done. Just got to remove the 22mm nut in the center nothing else. I prefer the wood, but it's cold in the winter.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
You might have a different design, or it might not be original? Hard to tell without photos. The stock wheel definitely has an integrated hub. Pic from the board...

Only one way to find out though. Remove the screws, see what happens!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just curious because the steering wheel I bought has a hub that is peeling. If anyone has come across that problem please enlighten me on what can be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts