Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anyone fitted a spacer to a standard steering wheel on a 1974 GTV? It would be more comfortable if I could get the wheel back a little at my height. If anyone has, where do I find one?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
I don't think that such a part exists.

To move your wheel rim back, I think you will need to find a different steering wheel with a greater offset.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you can take some picture and measurements, I can make you the part to do it.

Depending on what you want, it's a pretty simple thing...

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
Yea, that's a good solution if Paolobuchberger has a "Momo/Sparco/OMP steering wheel" (I'm quoting from the Alfaholics page that Dwatsonkc cited).

But his post uses the phrase "standard steering wheel", which to me means a factory-supplied wheel that attaches to a tapered shaft with a woodruff key and central nut. The parts pictured in the above two posts will not connect to a factory-supplied steering wheel.

And that's why I wrote in post #2: "I think you will need to find a different steering wheel"

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't think you will find one off shelf for a standard 105 wheel.

A bit more callenging with a 105, but not impossible. It really comes down to how much you really want to do it. Just had a quick think about it... would have to be made in two parts (part 1 aluminium and part 2 steel). I reckon about 3 -4 hours work.

I made a 25 mm spacer for my Momo when I put Recaros in my 116 GTV.... Ergonomics that you normally only dream of in one of these.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
"Just had a quick think about it... would have to be made in two parts (part 1 aluminium and part 2 steel). I reckon about 3 -4 hours work."
Would really like to see a drawing or picture of this......

·
Administrator
12,572 Posts
Hi,

Anyone fitted a spacer to a standard steering wheel on a 1974 GTV? It would be more comfortable if I could get the wheel back a little at my height. If anyone has, where do I find one?

Cheers
Can we assume because yours GTV is a 1974 that it has universal joints in the steering column and is not a direct shaft straight into the steering box?

If that is the case you can move the whole steering column back towards you and get somebody to extend the intermediate shaft*. Yes not a simple task but with some custom brackets could be done.

Pete
* to extend an intermediate shaft all you have to do is find some tube that fits over the shaft. Then you cut it in half push each end into the tube (UJ's have to remain inline), ensuring there is plenty of overlap and weld the ends of the tube to the shaft. Been there and done this for a kit car.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sounds good in theory Pete, but legally you're not allowed to do that for a street car anymore. Not by cutting & rewelding tube over the shaft, anyway. Last time I was talking about something similar to an engineer for the RMS, he spoke of it needing to be splined or keyed in some way as well just in case the welds somehow fail.

·
Administrator
12,572 Posts
Sounds good in theory Pete, but legally you're not allowed to do that for a street car anymore. Not by cutting & rewelding tube over the shaft, anyway. Last time I was talking about something similar to an engineer for the RMS, he spoke of it needing to be splined or keyed in some way as well just in case the welds somehow fail.
Would take 5 minutes to drill and pin each end.

All a bit ridiculous because the original shaft will have been welded to the uj brackets. So I guess to remove the old shaft completely and make a new longer one, weld in and get the welds xrayed would be the professional solution.

A mate in NZ had to get his suspension welds xrayed so the world has changed since my day. The funny thing is the component that the suspension attaches to does not have the welds checked ... seems silly to me ...
Pete

·
Registered
561 Posts
All a bit ridiculous because the original shaft will have been welded to the uj brackets.
Never seen a universal joint in the steering of RHD 105 anyway! one piece column shaft.

Unless there has been a typo and Mr Berger meant 75 Afetta GT. Anyway, it seems he got his answer and went away.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The car is a 105 GT Veloce 1974 2 litre

As in the first post,,he requires a spacer adapter for a standard wood rim steering wheel,,with the 1 original spline,,fitted to a straight shaft standard steering box.
Adaptors + spacers are available for after market steering wheels,but a standard steering wheel ?
Maybe a 1750 steering box with the longer shaft might help by about 1 inch.
Then he will have to get the column surround and housing to suit
Sounds expensive.
2 litre steering box shafts are shorter than 1750 shafts

So,,to answer his question,,is there an adapter spacer to suit a standard wood rim steering wheel to bring the steering wheel closer to him ?

·
Administrator
12,572 Posts
Never seen a universal joint in the steering of RHD 105 anyway! one piece column shaft.
Okay so the uj's must have been for LHD 105 versions only. I incorrectly assumed that this applied to both LHD and RHD.

I'll be quiet now. It sounds like longer arms are required :001_unsure:
Pete

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
How is the original wheel attached to the original boss?

The 75 was riveted, which I presume the 105 is as well? I'm gonna try google images...

·
Registered
561 Posts
It sounds like longer arms are required
They do legs in Russia... I wonder if arms are cheaper?

Now I think about it. I am sure the plated steering wheel spoke component is rivetted to the aluminium hub. Makes it quite an easy job then, for someone reasonably skilled with machine tools.

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
So,,to answer his question,,is there an adapter spacer to suit a standard wood rim steering wheel to bring the steering wheel closer to him ?
I don't think that answers Paolobuchberger's question; it just re-states it.

And I thought I answered his question back in post #2. The answer is "no".

Sure, he could modify his existing steering wheel, he could modify his steering column, he could get arm extensions, etc. But the simplest thing would be to convert to an aftermarket wheel installed with something like the Alfaholics extender.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Seriously doesn't sound hard at all to make something up, that you just need drill out the old rivits, tap those holes and bolt the adaptor to the stock boss and screw/rivit the steering wheel to the adaptor.

Maybe it's easy for me to understand because that I've done it before....

·
Registered
561 Posts
Seriously doesn't sound hard at all to make something up, that you just need drill out the old rivits, tap those holes and bolt the adaptor to the stock boss and screw/rivit the steering wheel to the adaptor.

Maybe it's easy for me to understand because that I've done it before....
Fitter and machinists make the best mechanics! What ordinary mechanics can't buy or fix, we make.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello and thanks for all the answers! As giulia veloce said, yes its a 1974 Giulia GTV with a standard wheel. Had no idea it was potentially so complicated. It's not that uncomfortable so I'll keep it standard for the moment.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts