Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI:

I have to restore the Steering wheel on my 78 Spider. I'm ok with the wood work and finishing,. Does anyone have any suggestions for the plastic trim around the horn buttons. Mine dried out and came apart.

Thanks
Bob

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Euro vendors have the two types. Highwood, Classic Alfa, Alfaholics, et al. It's a bit difficult to install unless you take the spokes off, which I did not.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
HI:

I have to restore the Steering wheel on my 78 Spider. I'm ok with the wood work and finishing,. Does anyone have any suggestions for the plastic trim around the horn buttons. Mine dried out and came apart.

Thanks
Bob
Bob,
The plastic inserts are available new form Alfaholics and or Highwood Alfa and IAP AND Centerline I believe. They are a little pricy. Most of the old ones crack and disintegrate due to age.

When I resorted mine, I took it completely apart so I could clean and refresh the contact area in the center. When apart, I cleaned and sanded the cast aluminum spokes and then sanded and polished the stainless steel spokes. I also scrapped all of the epoxy paint off of the wood with a sharp straight edge. This was a time consuming effort. Once the epoxy was stripped, I sanded, stained and then applied a clear coat.

Lots of work but I like the finished product.

Check out this thread.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/113356-wooden-steering-wheel-restoration.html

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Steering Wheel Restoration Service

Hello,

Does anyone have a service they can recommend for full steering wheel restoration?

I'm looking to restore a wood steering wheel for an '84 to '86 GTV-6. The entire wheel needs refinishing; the wood rim and the metal "black anodized" frame.

All recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Get in touch with below fellow BB'r
I am also looking for a steering wheel restorer recommendation. I am pretty sure I found a post where Franjo said he was not doing steering wheels anymore. I have also sent an email to Mark Wallach (whose name also appears in posts here and on Ferrari board) about 10 days ago with no response (but it did not come back as undeliverable). I tried calling Mark at 845-358-8179 today and got the "number no longer in service" message. So additional references would be welcome.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Modern steering wheels can be had for cheap money that need nothing. I can't believe scrounging is the not the most cost effective way to attack this. They aren't THAT rare. Far more cars go to nature's equilibrium than steering wheels from the 70's and 80's. .

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
1970's wooden steering wheels refinish VERY nicely - provided that they aren't cracked and dry-rotted. Getting the old plastic coating off is the hardest bit of the process. Mechanical removal seems to be the only workable route, since not one of the many chemical strippers had any effect.

After sanding smooth, mount your steering wheel in the middle of a barbeque rotisserie ($15 at Home Depot) and while rotating, apply many coats of spar varnish. You will love your steering wheel again!

·
Registered
649 Posts
steering wheel restro

lots of cracks,, cleaned the wheel oven baked at 200 for 2 hours to get any water out of the exposed wood, and dry it out. found the oem finish to be hard to sdand, so dermal took and sanding drum at lowest setting works good.. then hand sand,, , go a chunk of mahogany wood, and sanded a lot of word dust into a sheet of paper,, mixed with 2 part epoxy, then filled in the cracks.. let dry for 24 hours, the sand to shape, then clear coat the wheel.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts