Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, am I missing something? I removed the center nut on the steering wheel and I am cranking down on my puller but this thing is not budging.

Is there another fastener other than the center nut?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hope you left the nut on flush or you might mushroom the top threaded area. I had the same problem on 2 different cars. The steering wheel was really on there on both cars. If you took the nut off completely put it back on flush and then put a thick washer on top with a smallish hole to keep everything stable then tighten down after you put some bp blast or any good penetrant oil and rap on the top with a brass hammer and repeat while there is tension on the wheel. I pulled the threads out on my wheel like yours and had to tap 1/4" sae fine thread to finally get the job done.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
No it's just the one nut. Sometimes it is a real bi%$ch to get off.
Some guys put pressure on the wheel puller and spray with BB blaster and go
have a round of golf. There's a lot of Aluminum there so be careful.
I would (after a couple rounds of golf) add a little torque on that center bolt.
Go take the trash to the dump, add a little torque, take the grand kids for ice cream,
bang on the wheel, add some torque to the bolt, make up some new words
that you don't want you grand kids to learn, decide that the wheel does not really have to come off...
That's what I did..:LOL:.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wow that took way more force than I was expecting!!!

I think I may put some anti seize on there to make future removal, if ever I need to, slightly easier!

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
Yup, my Berlina wheel wouldn't budge. Im afraid to pull my GTV6 wheel even though i have a beautiful Nardi wheel waiting to go on.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Get a can of keyboard cleaner, hold it upside down and spray the shaft, it will super cool the shaft and shrink it and with about a quarter of a turn it’ll pop right off.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I drilled a few relief holes in the side of a stuck steering wheel on a rusty spider that I was parting out.
Steering wheel was toast but once the holes were there, it popped right off.
I saved the steering column and steering box before the rusty hulk was towed away.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Figured I would close this out:

Thanks again Fred!

Reactions: jubrele
1 - 10 of 10 Posts