Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Nardi steering wheel complete with hub and horn off ebay, Has anyone have or had any experience in removing a steering wheel off an 89(quad). I want to know if this kinda thing could be done by myself or would it be better to bring it to my local shop? Also would you suggest an aligment after the removal and install??

thanks
mark

·
Administrator
17,384 Posts
Some have been able to remove the steering wheel nut and yank off the steering wheel (but not me). I use a puller. It has bolts that screw into threaded holes and a center bolt that you tighten down against the steering column shaft. Don't use the kind that reaches around to grab the outside of the hub - it can ruin it .

It will not need an alignment after removing/replacing the steering wheel (unless you do other steering/suspension work at the same time).

Do be careful not to loose the woodruff key when removing the steering wheel. It can be tricky getting it back in place when installing the new steering wheel. There is a spring loaded sleeve you need to push back then get the key into place and put the steering wheel on. The sping loaded sleeve tends to push the key out of positon. Use appropriate Italian swear words...

P.S. from the picture in your avitar it looks like you need to work on brakes before getting a new steering wheel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help much appreciated. I will definatley try it on my own. By the way new brakes? How can you tell from a front view pic?

·
Registered
554 Posts
BTW, dont expect the assorted bolts in most pullers to fit the oem alfa steering wheel pulling threads....You will probably need to visite the hardware store for some metric threaded rods and nuts...cut them to the right length, put the puller over them then tighten the nuts/washers down and then tighten the puller center bolt.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Be sure to leave the nut on the shaft when you pull the wheel. the "shaft" is hollow and thin, if you mess the threads up on the end, you will be very unhappy. just unthread the nut flush with the end of the threads before pulling.
cliff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts