Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get this bugger off and have a puller but my wheel does not have any threaded holes to bolt into.
Do most people end up drilling holes and taping them to make this work or can I try another technique?
Do I need a special tool or can I just screw the center nut back on flush and hit that a few times with a hammer to see if the wheel shakes free? I don't believe this wheel is threaded on at this point right?
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
The wheel is not worth saving so ........put a dose of heat on the hub but not the shaft .. have your neighbor pull and tug on the wheel with the nut slacked and whack the shaft gingerly with a steel hammer.. hard enough to cause a shock but not so hard as to drive the shaft through the steering box... then go get a puller if that won't work and you probably will need to shock the puller too

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Caution: the hollow shaft is easily deformed during removal.

Caution: the retaining nut is ¾--16”

Steering wheel pullers:

The factory tool looks neat, but is more likely to damage the wheel than pull it off the shaft.

Many commercial steering wheel pullers have a chamfered end that when pushed against the shaft will cause the end of the shaft to flare out (as if you were trying to make a brake line flare).

Make one like originally shown in the Guiletteratta magazine from 18-gauge sheet metal.

Procedure:

Disconnect the battery!

Remove horn button
Caution: the outer ring, which must be pried off, is hard, brittle plastic.

750 and 101-1300 are attached by rubber O-ring

101-1600 by three point spring clip at 12 / 4 / 8 o’clock.

Spray seam liberally with WD-40.

Have a second party hold onto the piece so it doesn’t fly off and break.

Use two wide, stiff putty knives to slide behind the bottom of the ring and wheel. Raise approximately 1/8”.

Repeat at the next position until outer ring is removed..

Remove horn’s rubber stopper

Disconnect horn and headlight flashing wires.

Pull these wires out of the shaft from the engine compartment end just enough so they are inside the hollow shaft.

Remove nut.

Remove tab-washer (not doing this is a common mistake)

CAUTION: read directions on how and where to drill holes

CAUTION: DO NOT drill into the turn signal area, or to let bolt protrude too far into the turn signal arm area --usually the left-hand side.

Drill the RH side first

Tap for threads ......... DO NOT go to deep with tap for the same reason as not going too deep with the drill or puller’s bolts.

Turn the wheel about 180 deg. to position the second hole over on the right.

Repeat drill & tap process

Reinstall the nut almost fully. The intention is protect the shaft, while leaving just enough clearance for the wheel to “pop” loose. Something like 0.010 – 0.020” clearance between nut and wheel.
Even better is a threaded cap that would go over the shaft to protect it ..... but building that is another project.

Install your puller.

Tighten “some”, but don’t attempt to actually pull the wheel off.

A sharp tap with a suitable hammer on the puller axis will send a shock wave up and down the shaft and pop the item loose.

If it did not, try torquing further and give it another good tap, it will eventually work.
Slope Font Parallel Circle Triangle
Slope Font Parallel Circle Triangle

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I purchased a steering wheel puller from Alfa Romeo fifty years ago. I have pulled many steering wheels without damaging the steering shaft. The steering wheel is in poor condition and would cut off the steering wheel and save the steering shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts