Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Wondering if anyone can enlighten me to the best way to remove the steering wheel on my '74 GTV 2000. Might be a novice question, but I am interested in learning best practices here...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
with a steering wheel puller, and the nut threaded on the top of the steering column pipe to prevent distortion from the force of the puller. Dont forget to do this. Alternatively a friend of mine uses an air hammer on the solid steel shaft and yanks up simultaneously (with the retainer nut in place to prevent him being blasted in the face)

Reactions: FrassoFetta

·
Registered
5 Posts
Using a steering wheel puller is pretty straightforward, just follow the instructions with the tool. There is a locking washer folded over on to the center nut that must be bent clear with a screwdriver before you take off the nut. Remember that wheel has been bolted in place for 45 years, it might take a lot of force to come loose.

·
Super Moderator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,376 Posts
Alternatively a friend of mine uses an air hammer on the solid steel shaft and .....
Sounds like a bad idea, especially with a fragile Burman steering box.

FrassoFetta: Just use a generic steering wheel puller available at auto parts stores or on Amazon. Apply penetrating oil beforehand, but avoid hammering and heat (easy to damage plastic in the wheel). Use anti seize when you re-install the wheel, and the job will be much easier the next time.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Take keyboard cleaner hold the can upside down spray the shaft with the liguid, avoid skin contact and don't touch the shaft with skin, will super freeze it, thus shrinking it. Do this after putting some pressure on the removal tool, another turn or two and it will pop right off, and probably add a year or two to your life, because those Alfa steering wheels are on there pretty good.. It works!

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
Sounds like a bad idea, especially with a fragile Burman steering box.

FrassoFetta: Just use a generic steering wheel puller available at auto parts stores or on Amazon. Apply penetrating oil beforehand, but avoid hammering and heat (easy to damage plastic in the wheel). Use anti seize when you re-install the wheel, and the job will be much easier the next time.
He's been doing it this way for a long time, on lots of cars. Because of the high frequency and super-low displacement of the air hammer up top, down at the box, it is not an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.