Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

A quick question for those in the know... What is the best (SAFEST) way to remove a 164 steering wheel without blowing the air bag? I have heard many opinions over the years about the possibility of blowing the bag when removing the steering wheel... Is this a real fear... or like many things just a wife's tail?

Cheers
Martin.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Well, you probably won't blow the airbag, but I believe if you remove it with the battery hooked up, then you will have the airbag light always on. So, probably is best to disconnect the battery for starters. I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Wife's tale maybe but not a wives tail sorry you wrote it not me! Anyway, disconnect battery before you even think the word AIRBAG. Not because you will blow air bag but as Sean says you will set off a fault in air bag ECU.

We on the right coast with my air bag tester have reset 3 91-93 12v 164 air bag ECUs in last 3 weeks. Still hoping to test my Marelli tester on Myron's 95LS to reset his air bag light.

As for removing air bag once you have disconnected battery, remove two screws holding it to steering wheels with Torx screw driver or Torx bit of correct size (T15,20 or 27 can't remember for sure Happy Hour ya know).

Disconnect electrical WIRE connector to SQUIB on back of bag (AB). Set bag aside.

To remove steering wheel once AB out of the way, loosen nut with about 1 1/16" socket and use Alfa steering wheel puller 3.0451 if you have one. It has long special two-step bolts not found in your local AutoZone. I have both Alfa tool and a modified AutoZone one my Fiat Merchant Marine bud Bruce made for me to get my GTV6 wheel off when Alfa one wasn't strong enough to do the job. I hope your 164 wheel not on that tight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
After disconnecting the battery, I unplugged the air bag computer. Is that necessary?
No, I don't think so but if you want to that is fine, but as long as battery disconnected ECU is dead.

·
Registered
48 Posts
what aftermarket steeringwheels will fit a 1991 spider?
can you use the same hub as the 1989 cars?
if you remove the airbag(and factory steering wheel),can an aftermarket wheel be fitted?
where would i find such a hub(adapter)?(for the later model cars?)

the nardi steeringwheels on the centerline website(adapter hub) only show for up to 1989 spiders.

thanks

doug hunt

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
what aftermarket steeringwheels will fit a 1991 spider?
can you use the same hub as the 1989 cars?
if you remove the airbag(and factory steering wheel),can an aftermarket wheel be fitted?
where would i find such a hub(adapter)?(for the later model cars?)

the nardi steeringwheels on the centerline website(adapter hub) only show for up to 1989 spiders.

thanks

doug hunt
Post on Spider Tab for better chance of replies.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my bad, i just postd after doing a search and that was the first thread that i read.

shoulda known better:rolleyes:

thanks
anyway

doug hunt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts